Exhibit in London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2003
HI there! I'm new to this messageboard but not to the Titanic phenomenon. I saw the exhibit a while back when it was in Dallas, TX. And now I live here in England and saw that it was at the Science Museum in London - at least that's what my husband said when he was perusing their site (looking for the LOTR exhibit this fall). I was very impressed the first time around and definitely want to go again. I also just wanted to say that this is an awesome site and keep up the good work. ;-)
melody

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hi, Melody, and welcome to Titanica. The Science Museum also has its own IMAX theatre, so you can see (or see again) 'Ghosts of the Abyss' while you're there. If it's still running, that is - haven't checked lately.

Jul 17, 2003
Thanks Bob for the welcome! I didn't get to see the IMAX film when it was in Dallas - they have an IMAX theatre but it wasn't at the Fairgrounds (where the exhibition was) so maybe I just missed it... dunno. But that was another BIG reason I wanted to go see it again. It's just convincing the other half ;-) Melody ;-)

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Hello all,
I am afraid I do not know how to post a new heading to an existing thread, so I thought it may be best to post this under this heading as it concerns a current British Titanic exhibtion which will be in Bristol. The text which follows in a story which appeared in the Bristol paper the other day. Quite sad really...
19/07/03
Bristol
CHILD SEX LINK TO CITY SHOW

11:00 - 19 July 2003
The main contributor to a major exhibition in Bristol on the sinking of the Titanic is a paedophile serving a jail sentence, it has been revealed. Music teacher Denis Cochrane, aged 54, provided many of the items for a showcase Titanic exhibition, which opened this week at the British Empire and Commonwealth Museum at Temple Meads.

Cochrane, who was a music teacher and organist at a top Catholic school, was jailed for seven years this spring for repeatedly molesting a vulnerable pupil whom he "seduced and corrupted".

His trial at the Old Bailey concerned seven counts of indecent assault on one boy over a four-year period of "systematic abuse".

Cochrane was also found guilty of importuning another pupil for immoral purposes. He was charged in December 2001 after the allegations came to light in August that year.

He had groomed his victims who were part of an inner circle of favourites known as Cochrane's Boys.

The court heard that he showered Boy A with money, clothes, meals and drink.

Jurors heard he was regularly taken to Cochrane's flat for sex sessions. Irish-born Cochrane also had a lifelong obsession with the Titanic, which was sparked when he was a teenager.

The bedroom of his flat in Chiswick, west London, was decked out like the inside of a luxury liner, complete with bunks and a porthole window.

His vast collection includes letters written on board the fated liner, vials of perfume and even a third-class menu which was on the dining room table on the night of the disaster.

Those items, and a rare life jacket, removed from a victim of the fateful 1912 maritime disaster, are now on display.

Titanic Exhibitions, the London-based group behind the show, said they were "shocked" when they learned of Cochrane's conviction in March. The directors said they were not aware that he was being investigated for sex crimes involving boys.

It is too bad that such an individual and his immoral actions have a negative effect on the world of Titanica. On a closing note, I found it very curious that this news article mentioned Cochrane has vials of perfume (from the wreck?). Someone at RMSTI really should look into this because I know Cochrane was the historian on the 2000 salvage operation and there was an assortment of perfume samples raised on that particular expedition. I always was under the impression that all items raised or salvaged were the property of RMSTI and were not to be given away or sold. Maybe I am reading this all wrong but it certainly bears some more looking into. Regards, Steve Santini

Bill Sauder

Nov 14, 2000
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the note regarding the alleged Perfume Vial in the Cochrane flat. RMST is aware of the report and is looking into the matter.

Bill Sauder

Status
Not open for further replies.