Exploitations

N. D. Risener

Apr 8, 2018
Cleveland, not OH
1912 was an election year in the U.S. From an old memory I've heard that in one of the political races a candidate accused his opponent of being "the man who disguised himself as a woman" to get in one of the Titanic's lifeboats. Does anyone know anything about this story?

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Have not heard anything about Titanic survivors running in any political races that year. I do know several men were accused of dressing like women. William Sloper and Dickenson Bishop were two of them.One survivor received a letter from another one, accusing him of doing this and urged him to come forward."I don't know how you can hold your head above men and still call yourself a man" "confession is good for the soul"are two quotes from this letter.The book I read this in did not reveal any names as to who sent or received this letter. There was a young man in Officer Lowes' boat that had a shawl wrapped around his head. When Lowe caught him during the sea transfer, he chucked the guy to the bottom of the boat. Of course I find it hard to believe that any man would have taken the time to dress completely like a woman,and unless I'm wrong, no conclusive, rock solid evidence has ever been found to support this myth.

N. D. Risener

Apr 8, 2018
Cleveland, not OH
Assuming the political mudslinging really happened I'm sure no one took the claim seriously. No one, not even back then, would have really thought the accused politician was ever near the Titanic. But dirty politics being what it is it isn't so much of a stretch to believe the accusation really was made.

A

Aaron_2016

Exploiting the disaster and the heroism that followed might have been used by the general public. e.g. Browsing through the newspapers I found a number of people who claimed to have been Titanic survivors, despite the fact their names do not appear on the survivors list. e.g. Two that come to mind are:

1912 - Mr. Luis Klein - He claimed to be a key witness to the collision and told an incredible story to the reporters about the crew being drunk and asleep on duty. He was supposed to testify at the US Inquiry but made a quick escape.

1927 - Mr. Albert. V. Cowen of 841 Eighth Avenue - He was charged with petit larceny. The judge suspended his sentence because - 'He was a hero on the Titanic. His counsel told the court that Mr. Cowen had been a steward on the Titanic and saved lives in the disaster.' Yet his name did not appear on the survivors list.