Exploration of stern areas

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
If you had somebody who was willing to pay the expenses for probably losing a couple of ROV's, it might be possible to do more exploration of the stern, but they are so damned expensive and difficult to build and operate that nobody is seemingly prepared to do that. Look at what happened in Ghosts Of The Abyss when one of Jake or Elwood (can't remember which) got caught inside the wreck and the other was sent down to rescue him....it's a dangerous place.

As for the stern, we must remember that unlike the bow, the interior of the stern section would have been largely without flooding when it went under. With the bow already flooded, the water had nowhere to go, hence ensuring it stayed in reasonable shape. The pressure of the water powering through the stern section, however, would have shredded much of it and any areas which did survive would have imploded with the increasing pressure of the water. That's most likely why you have one section which is in comparitively good shape and one section which is just mangled.

Like most disasters of that sort, there would surely still be sections of the stern that would be explorable, the problem is we have no idea where they are or how to get to them. If an ROV could be built that not only explored the wreck but could move large chunks of debris out of the way as it went, we'd be set! ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.

Jul 31, 2012
That it's dangerous to take an ROV into Titanic is true, the wreck (especially the stern) is very hazardous and there is high risk for any ROV going into it. I guess the chances for interior exploration of the stern would be greater, and I don't really know how far one could go inside (length of the tether). It's true that ROV's are extremely expensive, I guess if a cheaper and smaller "disposable" type were made then the interior exploration of the stern might actually happen.

Yes, but we must make the assumption that some of the stern interior is intact ( it may be devoid of artifacts from the effects of the sinking though), particularly the areas we cannot see and until more exploration is done we won't really know what the condition of the wreck is. The marconi room was very exposed, and it still held surprises that I think some had felt wouldn't have survived, now if the dynamo room/turbine/generators could be reached we might learn more about the final moments prior to the sinking.

I would expect decks aft of the holds, from "E" to the tank deck might be intact, but doing any exploration of the decks forward of the holds might be a waste of time as shredded as they are.

Justin K

Aug 11, 2012
Pennsylvania
I really haven't seen much footage of the stern at all, even the exterior. A few years back, I remember seeing a painting by Ken Marshall that showed the port side of the veranda cafe was still there with a few feet of a-deck promenade still there. You would think that that would be an easy exploration. I would love to see that happen.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>You would think that that would be an easy exploration. I would love to see that happen. <<

While Ken's paintings are phenomonally accurate, the images are only as good as the most current information and a lot of that is over a quarter of a century out of date. The wreck has changed a lot and not for the better. Some of the structures which were intact back in 1987 are no longer there.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
T & O:

The passage of time might allow new technology to be created which could explore the stern area, perhaps an even smaller, worm-like ROV or something similar. The problem is that the Titanic doesn't have time on her side anymore. I would love to see the stern area being explored more as well - taking the exterior appearance out of the equation, it would be interesting to compare what survived inside the stern section as opposed to the bow.

Cheers,
Adam.

Jul 31, 2012
>>You would think that that would be an easy exploration. I would love to see that happen. <<

While Ken's paintings are phenomonally accurate, the images are only as good as the most current information and a lot of that is over a quarter of a century out of date. The wreck has changed a lot and not for the better. Some of the structures which were intact back in 1987 are no longer there.

Yes, but you would think that the areas where the hull was missing couldn't have changed that much. Most of the bow deterioration is noticeably in decks and deck-houses where the metal was thinner than most of the hull.

Jul 31, 2012
T & O:

The passage of time might allow new technology to be created which could explore the stern area, perhaps an even smaller, worm-like ROV or something similar. The problem is that the Titanic doesn't have time on her side anymore. I would love to see the stern area being explored more as well - taking the exterior appearance out of the equation, it would be interesting to compare what survived inside the stern section as opposed to the bow.

Cheers,
Adam.

I would expect that the weakest point in the stern is the area already badly damaged by the sinking/last 100 years under water. I could be wrong, but I always thought of the stern from the holds aft as being pretty strong, that may keep what's left around for a while anyway. I guess the most important question is if expeditions will be very common in the future.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Yes, but you would think that the areas where the hull was missing couldn't have changed that much. <<

Why would I think that?

The level of deterioration observed since the ship the last expeditions just a few years ago came as something of a shock. I wouldn't assume anything.

Jul 31, 2012
>>Yes, but you would think that the areas where the hull was missing couldn't have changed that much. <<

Why would I think that?

The level of deterioration observed since the ship the last expeditions just a few years ago came as something of a shock. I wouldn't assume anything.

Yes it was a shock, sort of brings to mind all the questions about 'saving' the Titanic that are so routinely posted, just what is there to save it from? It's worst enemy is time, and saving it would probably be a futile effort, best to explore and learn as much as we can before it's passed from memory to the pages of history forever. In some ways the ship was lost to history before it was found in 1985, and since then has been thrust back to us landlubber's memories; it's only inevitable that it will once again pass into history and the domain of Neptune.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
T & O:

I agree with you, certain areas of the stern should still be pretty strong, especially those furthest aft - outwardly at least, that area doesn't appear to be in bad shape at all.

Cheers,
Adam.

Jul 31, 2012
Hopefully a future expedition will also feel the same way and make an attempt to do some exploring.

I guess it's just a question on if any future expeditions will find it worth the risk to send an ROV into the stern, now that the 100th anniversary has passed interest may drop and that could translate into fewer expeditions.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Just a thought, would it be considered (no doubt it would raise a considerable amount of controversy) or would it even be possible to 'create' an entrance through the hull into the stern in one of the outwardly less damaged areas?

Cheers,
Adam.

Jul 31, 2012
That's probably never going to happen, for one thing many people consider the stern section to be the "resting place" of those who died during the sinking, though really some probably died when the bow was going under but it's considered more acceptable to explore I guess.

I'm wondering if there will even be as many expeditions in the future, interest may have peaked.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
I'm not sure expeditions will increase or decline depending on public interest but rather, how much more of the ship can be explored which hasn't already been covered, particularly in the last decade? No doubt there will be more trips but their focuses will probably be more scientific and aimed at monitoring the deterioration of the wreck.

Cheers,
Adam.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Has there been any attempt to see what's left of the library?

You mean the 2nd class library? Never came across any information that this was done.
That area is badly damaged. A & B Deck hat collapsed on C Deck (especially the area about the aft 2nd staircase were the mast is) and meanwhile the situation is much worse.
However, an ROV had been send to the still existing 2nd class promenade on C Deck (outside the staircase) but I think they took only exterior images and did not send the ROV into the promenade. I doubt they could have send it deep inside there.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Library would be interesting - would also be good to know whether that really was the Renault the ROV spotted in the cargo hold.

Cheers,
Adam.