Exploration of stern areas

Jul 31, 2012
You mean the 2nd class library? Never came across any information that this was done.
That area is badly damaged. A & B Deck hat collapsed on C Deck (especially the area about the aft 2nd staircase were the mast is) and meanwhile the situation is much worse.
However, an ROV had been send to the still existing 2nd class promenade on C Deck (outside the staircase) but I think they took only exterior images and did not send the ROV into the promenade. I doubt they could have send it deep inside there.

Yes, I guess they wouldn't have too many decades before the library is collapsed too much.

Jul 31, 2012
Library would be interesting - would also be good to know whether that really was the Renault the ROV spotted in the cargo hold.

Cheers,
Adam.

I would too, but from what I remember of Cameron's 2001 attempt it would still be very hard or impossible to find it. I guess if you had a lot of time to look around something might be found, but I imagine that most exploration is set on a schedule with so much time expected to be used for exploring certain areas.

But I do wonder about things deep in the ship, like if access is even possible due to bulkheads and watertight doors. It would be interesting if they did get deep into the stern, I wonder how the lower storage areas fared in the sinking. For instance we know that the main theory for the condition of the stern is that there was a large amount of air trapped inside, but area like the meat storage near the dynamo room would be difficult to flood maybe? Some of the plans for that section seem to show the doors opening outwards, that would make it even harder for water to enter that way since the pressure might be keeping the door closed?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Well in GOTA they thought they had found the Renault based on something that was buried under a pile of gunk which appeared to have something like a fender attached to it. Experts reckon there wouldn't be much of the car left now anyway but if there was some way you could clear away that pile of gunk that's shrouding whatever is underneath.....would be very interesting!

Especially if they did it as some sort of live cross to the ship, like they did with the secret Egyptian pyramid chambers a few years back......would certainly get a lot of people interested. Reality and ideas are two very different things though, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Adam.

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
I know most probably wont agree with me but being a avid vintage car person, I have to say without a doubt that is the remains of the car. Wicker baskets like what was shown was very common on trunks used to store your personal belongings on the backside of your vehicle at the turn of the century. But the biggest thing that tells me it is, is the brass lamp that was spotted, the shape and design of it is that of a gas powered headlamp made out of brass. The wicker basket could be explained away as being some cargo and I could have the benefit of doubt on that considering it could very well be cargo. But that brass lamp is a design that is purely turn of the century automobilia. I could even make out the brass pitcock valve used to turn the gas on and off to the headlamp.

Now I know this is an old topic and hasnt had posts recently but I still want to put this out there. Still trying to get caught up on new information and discoveries Ive had the displeasure of missing out on due to work and life in general.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
I agree with you Rusty, I believe that the remains of the car are still down there. More fragile objects than a car have survived a century underwater in the Titanic. Just a shame that more couldn't be seen of it.

Cheers,
Adam.

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
I agree with you Rusty, I believe that the remains of the car are still down there. More fragile objects than a car have survived a century underwater in the Titanic. Just a shame that more couldn't be seen of it.

Cheers,
Adam.

Yep, I just wished that we had more exploration. I would love to see the bow explored every square inch possible. Then I would like to see the stern explored, its like the only thing we ever see of the stern is the screws or the recprocating engines. I would like to get more into the stern section and see what did survive. Im sure it might not be much but one never knows.

Jane Smith

Ship-interior-fan
Aug 16, 2018
US East Coast
I know that the stern is a total disaster but did anything survive in the stern? Aside from the Reciprocating engines, two wing propellers, the rudder, 2nd class entrance (somewhat survived)

Jane Smith

Ship-interior-fan
Aug 16, 2018
US East Coast
Yeah, I’ve encountered that. It kinda helps when I look at it on the website. However, when I try to look at the picture of the wreck, I have no idea what I’m looking at.

Also, I’m just asking this because I don’t see it anywhere. Did parts of the Turbine engine and electrical engines survive? Or were they totally destroyed?

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I think it was the 1996 RMS Titanic Inc. wreck expedition which send their ROV Robin into the stern areas. It was reported that the 3rd class cabins close to the stern were empty as if something had blow out everything.

In 2001 James Cameron wanted to visit the A-la-carte restaurant and the Cafe Parisien, but he was unable to do so as that area had collapsed.
Remains from the A-la-carte restaurant like light fixtures were found in the debris field and some of them recovered.
Hi do you have a link? I've been looking for videos and photos of her Stern interior, but can never find it. Maybe a link to the doc as well, please, I found the 1996 "The Investigation begins" one but I didn't think it was right. Have a nice day

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I don't think any ROV had been send down the stairs. It is very dangerous place. But it was filmed from above (and of course there are the photo mosaics from 1998 and the mapping from 2010 expeditions) and you could see still the floor tiles in that area.
I talked to Bill and he said a pilot has sent an ROV down there but "didn't see anything interesting" so they went back up.

hmph.