Facebook has killed forums

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Well, I wouldn't blame just Facebook. I think it's a combination of things. There was renewed interest in the ship around the time of the centenary, but with that long gone and with no survivors left, we're limited in what we can talk about without it repeating itself. I think the forums have actually been more active since they were revamped.

Cheers,
Adam.

Emilie

Aug 10, 2013
Saint-Étienne, France
Not just Facebook.
The global evolution of how people use the internet.
With social media era also comes the short-writings habits, people got lazy to manage long posts.
Plus people are getting usesçd to almost instantly responding.
There is no ET Messenger app, when you post something, you'll be patient to get an answer.

Isis

Jul 17, 2017
Social media used to be much more personal, and varied
Facebook is the online equivalent of Walmart, it has killed small forums like this one :( And made it more generic and boring too. It's not just facebook though, it's youtube, it's reddit also, There's about 10% of websites online that get like 90% of traffic.

JonWalter

Apr 5, 2018
Actually yes social media is killing forums. I had to break my own rule to make this comment. My rule is simple if I have to use social media to log in I don't comment.

So you will never get an honest answer on this site because people like me who think social media logins to comment stop anyone who values privacy from leaving a comment is most unlikely to give their answer when your asking the question using a site that only allows comment via a social media log in.

Now please excuse me while I go and block this comment system from further accessing my Facebook and invading my privacy an further.
Regards Jon Walter

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
So you will never get an honest answer on this site because people like me who think social media logins to comment stop anyone who values privacy from leaving a comment is most unlikely to give their answer when your asking the question using a site that only allows comment via a social media log in.
One does not need to log in here through any social medium. I don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
One does not need to log in here through any social medium. I don't.
That's a good thing as I have never had a Fakebook, Myspace, Twitter, Snapchat ect account. Forums come and go. People move on and the internet has changed a lot. A lot of the forums I used to post on have gone away. Facebook is probably one of the worst I've seen. I'm glad this site is a survivor as I like it a lot. Even if you don't post there's so much good info here.

B

Bob_Read

Facebook groups are only as good as the discipline their administrators enforce. The extremes are a heavy handed dictatorial style and a complete hands-off approach. Both lead to the demise of the group. Facebook groups are really only good for forums. You really can’t keep articles and other resources on them like a conventional website. I have had good and bad experiences on Facebook groups. The best groups for me are technically oriented. The groups which are primarily opinion oriented are the ones which are overrun by trolls.

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
I would say more people actually use this forum still than, say, our Facebook group... and the discussions are more, hmm, how shall we put it, more interesting!

Reactions: 2 users
B

Bob_Read

For some reason discussion is the weak point on Facebook Forums. The structure of the threads is that when you reply to a post it starts a sub-thread then you get multiple sub threads branching out which becomes impossible to follow instead of like here where you have a linear thread. Also thread hijacking seems to be more prevalent on Facebook.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
There were no real posts in Off Topic for several years before the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in April 2019.
That's becaus of the very limited discussion allowed in Off Topic, not because of social media.