Famed antr author walter lord dead at 84

Apr 14, 2001
it is my sad duty to inform the members of this board that antr author walter lord is dead at the age of 84 after a long illness he died this past sunday at his home in manhattan and i just want to say how sorry i am to hear about the death of this famous author and i hope that he rests in peace jennifer mueller

S

Sean Casey

God Bless Walter Lord for providing the book that ignighted my interest in the Titanic when I was only 10 years old. I've been studying her for over 20 years, and his insight will be missed. Requisat en pace.............

Alan Hustak

Jul 25, 2007
now the truth can be told... he never much liked ANTR, and thought he had written better books. He was extremely kind to me when I was writing my own book, and I treasurer the notes of encouragment he sent me.

May 5, 2001
That sure is funny, he never mentioned in ANY interview he ever did that I saw that he didn't like ANTR....

It was good enough to be a best seller....

Kate,
I doubt he can explain it...Hello BTW...;)

Regards,
Bill

Sep 20, 2000
I have to suspect that, if Walter Lord had any displeasure towards "A Night to Remember", it might only be because he felt he couldn't do it the justice he really wanted. (Of course, I think he did an exceptional work!)

But perhaps his underlying sense of humility -- a pretty rare commodity, admittedly -- left him wishing there were something more he could say to bring that story home as vibrantly as he himself felt it.

Just my two cents.

John

N

Nathan Lee Casteel

I would like to offer my sympathies to Walter's Lord's family he has done a-lot of Research on the Titanic. He has a really great book "A Night To Remember" and Peace to all that is on this Titanic message board.

Rest In Peace Walter Lord

Best Regards,

Nathan.

May 5, 2001
Dear All,

Now the truth can be told....and this should come as no surprise to anyone who had any respect for Walter Lord...

I just viewed "The Making Of......" Documentary on ANTR and the previous claim by someone above that Walter Lord DID NOT like ANTR was an inaccuracy.....a fabrication......ok, it was complete BS!. Walter was astounded that it recieved the world wide attention it did. Another fact I did not know, Walter had copies of ANTR from every country, including Pakistan on his bookshelf. Walter Managed to contact 60 or so survivors of the film while WIlliam MacQuitty, Producer of the film, contacted several others and by the time the film made it to world wide distribution, they almost had all the survivcors check in.

So don't let ANYONE besmirch Walter Lord, he was a great man and will always be remembered for this great book.

Regards,
Bill

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I believe that Shelley went to the memorial service, so I'm sure she'll give us a report once she gets home. If I'm not mistaken, I think she said his ashed would be interred in his mother's grave.

Apr 11, 2001
Just back from New York and am at the office so will give a full report tonight. I have many anecdotes to pass on, photos and details. It WAS a remarkable afternoon and a fitting tribute. The hall was packed -filled with friends old and new, and many ,many names you will recognize. Walter's ashes will indeed be interred next to his mother at Green Mount Cemetery in Baltimore June 15th. There will be a ceremony at his old school earlier, Gilmore High. I as so very glad I could attend yesterday- have learned so much more about this extraordinary man.

May 5, 2001
Hi Shell,

I would imagine everyone will be looking forward to your experiance there as I will, I will look for it later today here....

Thank you....
Regards,
Bill

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Shelley,

Thanks for letting us know. I'm looking forward to your post.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

N

Nathan Lee Casteel

I think that every member of this Titanic messageboard should have a *Moment Of Silence* for Walter Lord and his family. Please take a Moment of Silence that is all I ask

Thanks

Nathan