Famous Lifeboats image, and the Anchor image, Olympic or Titanic?

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Was wondering about these two famous images, always named as Titanic's, but are they Olympic's instead?

1620055199127.png

Anchor image

1620055407723.png

both images appear in the 1911 Shipbuilder magazine, but are unnamed.
I appreciate any help, thanks y'all :)

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
thanks Tim!
I've seen the Francis Browne photograph, but I appreciate it all the same!

Oh I figured a lot of people had seen the Anchor image, its in books like Dr. Ballard's "Exploring the Titanic"

I appreciate the help!

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I always instinctively lean towards the Olympic when the question of "Is this the Titanic or the Olympic" comes up.

The Olympic was subject to such extensive interest during her construction and fitting out (a lot moreso than the Titanic was) and was a magnet for press photographers.

A good example is the famous set of snaps supposedly of the Titanic's propellers in dry dock which feature in dozens of books.

As Mark Chirnside proved, they are not the Titanic's propellors. The central propellor has four blades.That had to have been the Olympic - the Titanic had a three bladed central propellor.

There is also that supposed group photograph of all the Titanic's officers that is in a lot of books.

It's actually a photo of the Olympic's officers pre-April 1912. Only Smith, Murdoch and McElroy are correctly labelled, the rest are all wrongly identified as Wilde, Lightoller etc.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Yeah, Mark's article was awesome!
Olympic is pretty easy to figure out in the broadstrokes, IMO. Like pictures of the Second Class Dining Saloon, galley, etc. The 1911 shipbuilder magazine primarily focuses on Olympic's construction, so that's helped me a lot to distinguish.

Its when there's a possibility it could be Titanic because there's photos near or similar to those known to be taken on Titanic.

For example, the A-Deck promenade on the two ships
This is Titanic's, on April 10th, 1912 (from my own files)
A-Deck first class promenade on April 10th, 1912.JPG

But this is Olympic's (wikimedia commons)
If you didn't know any better, you could think this was Titanic's promenade just further aft and earlier in the day
1620065585556.png