FAREWELL to QE2

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
I'll begin:

Farewell QE2!!

CHEERS!! for 40 years of service, and for many of us wonderful cruise/excursion memories.
For me, that was the 1997 Trans-Atlantic Crossing (which included Millvina Dean as a fellow passenger) and the August Taste of the Mediterranean Cruise.

May you receive stupendous send-offs at each of your final port visits!

Tonight (it's almost 8:00 PM here in California) I will offer a toast:
"To the QE!2"!!!

CHEERS!!!

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Oh dear. Latest news is she touched down on a sandbank entering the Solent at Brambles point. Tugs got her off quickly and no apparent damage.

A reminder that even in this day and age such things happen.

E

Ellen Grace Butland

Farewell, te waka rangitira (Queen of ships) I wish you a happy retirement in Dubai. Lets be positive, at least she is not headed for Alang or Rosyth (like the Mauretania) and the new owners might have enough money to keep the QE2 in good condition, unlike the poor old Queen Mary.

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
As an avid ship modeler I remember years ago building the QE2. I spent HOURS with a fine paint brush painting all the portholes black, applying the decals, stringing the foremast then proudly displaying it on my shelves, along with the Titanic, Lusitania, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and France.

Then one day I came home from school only to discover that the brackets holding the shelves to the wall had given way. I almost cried. All my beautiful ships lay crushed to smithereens on the floor.

134529.gif

E

Ellen Grace Butland

So have I,she has indeed arrived, at least its not Alang, but what her future is I do not dare to consider. Farewell to my favourite ship, farewell.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
What time did she arrive? I checked the webcam at 12am Pacific time (which I believe is noon Dubai local time) and she was still heading southwest in the Persian Gulf. Was there even a flotilla worthy of her? Anything like the Queen Mary received?

E

Ellen Grace Butland

Thanks for this post, Mr Russo, there's been nary a peep about her in our news today, perhaps tomorrow (Friday) If you go to www.worldshipny.com there is a blog being written by someone on board and posted to them every day. I've just checked her webcam and it's still going.

Jan 29, 2001
However our QE II's trans-atlantic dreams have
found their permanent berth in Dubai, our memories and memorabilia will remain with us. One p.c. I hold dearly is an oversize p.c. mailed from Dennis Cochrane (His TITANIC collection pars with Lehrer's). "From your good old friend on the Queen Elizabeth 2 at sea". It carries the QE-2 cancellation. The card is R.M.S. TITANIC 1912, "The Hour to Eternity" by Stephen J. Card. It ranks as a favorite rendering of mine. BTW, a ship's light can be seen in the distant horizon (CALIFORNIAN)!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

K

Kyle Johnstone

Forty years ago today

2 May 1969

QE2 departed Southampton for New York on the start of her maiden voyage.