Fate of Cunard Artifacts Aboard QE2

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Does anyone yet know what will happen to some of the artwork and artifacts aboard QE2 once she is sold?
Some of this includes (in addition to many original maritime paintings):

*Paintings of the Queen and the Prince Philip and the Queen Mother (copies aboard QM2)

*A grand piano that was on the Queen Mary

*Several Models of Cunard Liners

*Original plaque presented to the RMS Queen Mary by HM Queen Mary. A copy hangs on the Queen Mary in Long Beach on the main staircase. This looks like a large coin with her profile.

Is there an agreement that Cunard gets to remove some of their property or is it a total sale? What usually happens when illustrious liners are sold?

K

Kyle Johnstone

>*The 1840 Boston Commemorative Cup

AKA The Britannia Cup, is on QM2

>*Original plaque presented to the RMS Queen Mary by HM Queen Mary

I'm not sure this has ever been on QE2, if it is now, it's not in a public space or in the Wardroom. I've never heard of it being on QE2

the rest, we'll just have to wait and see... though some items, who knows exactly what right now, are "on loan" and will not stay in Dubai.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
The plaque is also called Queen Mary's royal standard. I was told the original is on the QE2 by a historian at the QM in Long Beach. I have seen other accounts of this being on the QE2 on various boards.

Thanks for clearing up the whereabouts of the Britannia Cup. I had heard conflicting accounts of it's location.

I have also heard that QM's grand piano was not put on QM2 because of SOLAS.

K

Kyle Johnstone

Queen Mary's royal standard is indeed aboard the QE2, but a "royal standard" is a flag, not the marble plaque of HM Queen Mary, carved by Lady Hilton Young from the RMS Queen Mary's main stairway landing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Standard_(United_Kingdom)

HM Queen Mary's royal standard once was displayed on the RMS Queen Mary underneath the marble plaque.

I believe the royal standards remain the property of the royal family, and fall under the "on loan" category. Whether HM QEII gives permission for them to stay in Dubai is probably doubtfull, as the precedent was set when HM Queen Mary's royal standard was removed from RMS Queen Mary when the ship arrived in Long Beach.

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
T.M. Hemy's Oil Painting From QE2 Handed to Discovery Museum

An oil painting by 19th century artist T.M. Hemy has been handed to Newcastle’s Discovery Museum from its home on board the QE2.

The painting shows Mauretania, the largest passenger ship ever built on the Tyne, leaving to sail round Scotland to Liverpool. The painting will return to the North East and will hang alongside a separate painting of the Turbinia in the museum.

FULL STORY & PICTURES

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
quote:

YES! Start unloading everything before she's handed over!
Maybe she can be conveniently burgled in Southampton ;)

So that when we hand her over, all that's left is a boiler and a table in the Caronia Restaurant.

134034.gif

K

Kyle Johnstone

For those taking notes...

The last remaining synagogue on a passenger ship is now in the process of being disassembled.

The QE2's synagogue had her final service this morning.

The signage on the door has been removed and fittings are being taken down, to be taken ashore in Southampton.

There has been much speculation about the synagogue, and now we know...

Other items throughout the ship will also be taken shore during QE2's final two Southampton calls, but what exactly we do not yet know.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Why are they gutting the synagogue right now? Is this because she was sold to an islamic state? Would the synagogue be offensive to her new owners?