Favorite Moment

A

Allison Lane

Inger--don't feel pressed to do it in a hurry, or even at all--if you have to scan it yourself I don't want to bother you about it!
happy.gif
It's just I'm always keen to see photographs.

-Allison L.

Jun 12, 2004
Inger,

Actually, I would be interested in seeing that photo, too. I am curious to see what Pitman looked like in his later years. Is he recognizable? hehe.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I'll be working in the home office this weekend, so will see what I can arrange for you as well, Mark.

Jemma and I have a few photos of Pitman in his later years - we used one or two of them in the lecture we gave a while back. He shaved his moustache off (it was gone by 1919), but although that made quite a difference to his appearance he is still essentially recognisable.

M

Matthew Bird

I think ANTR is better then Camerons film in terms of storyline, no evil first class passengers etc. It does however portray every single steerage passenger incl women and children as being held below decks until relatively late. I wonder what Lightoller thought of that.....

Jan 15, 2008
my favorite moment is the panic scene. Where Lightoller yells '10 more ladies' and all the people on deck are screaming to get the last places in the lifeboat!

Anne N.

Apr 15, 2012
My favorite scene: Murphy singing "Off To Philadelphia In The Morning" when he spots the Polish girl. In fact, I love the mother's reactions-at first "No way!" to understandable gratitude for saving her and her daughter's lives. Murphy and the girl couldn't communicate, but it looked like love at first sight.

May 3, 2005
There are so many that it's difficult to pick just one but one that I like is.:
The scene where Lightoller and his wife are on the train and laughing at the soap advertisement and the stuffy gentleman and his wife sitting next to them in the carriage takes offense at this. Then when Sylvia Lightoller tells him Lightoller is going to join Titanic as an officer, the stuffy gentleman makes an abject apology.

And one more:
When Cottam when enters the Marconi Room , starts taking off his tie, picks up the earphone casually and hears the Titanic's distress calls , hurriedly copies it down and then runs to the OOW and Captain Rostron, etc.

As I said, it's difficult to pick just one !

Every time I start undoing my tie , I am reminded of that scene ! LOL

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
OK - this is one of my favorites, even though it has NOTHING to do with the Titanic.
Two sailors out on the deck of the Carpathia (if I remember correctly). One sailor telling the other of his romantic problem with two sisters on board: "The younger one's prettier, but the older one's keener, if you know what I mean..." The other sailor says maybe he should "give them both a miss this trip". The first one replies, "What, and go for the mother instead?"
Anita -
I think you are referring to the scene just before mine ? :)
Cottam, the Carpathia Marconi Operator,. Is talking to an Officer (Groves ?) and preparing to go to the Marconi Room and retire for the night.
Also , did you notice the icebergs in the background ?

Last edited: