Favorite Scene

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
Ok, I am assuming I will get a variety of different responses to this but...what is your all time favorite scene from the movie Titanic? I have so many, but if I had to pick, I would say the Cherbourg Harbor scene. It looks almost identicle to the Marschall print. Whats your take?

Jul 10, 2009
I was the only one who gave the I'll Never Let Go Scene a standing ovation! But really, the Cherbourg scene comes to mind, but really thinking about it, I'd have to say the Nearer My God To Thee Scene.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I liked the one where Rose asks Ismay if he ever read Freud then remarked on his intersting views on the masculine pre-occupation with size. I would think something like that said on the real thing would have had more then a few jaws dropping in astonishment.

Molly Brown's "Well, you're about to go into the snake pit." to Jack in regards the dinner was a nice one too.

J

Jacquelyn Nickles

I liked the part where Jack and Rose are running for their life to get out of the sinking Titanic and the White Star Line employee tells them that they will have to pay for the damage.
I also enjoyed the "Spitting" scene as well...

K

Kristen Maitland

James,

I too love the Cherbourg Harbor scene. Molly Brown's enterance was great...just a shame they screwed up her character in that lifeboat scene (did they not research her AT ALL?!). Plus that shot of the Titanic just before sailing along in that stunning sunset is breath taking. Gives me the chills every time.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Very good question - surprising, really, that nobody has thought to pose is before now.

A tricky choice, but I vote for the sailing from Southampton scene. You know, where we see the little sailboat and then Titanic's huge bows come thundering into view. It gets me every time.

Second choice would be the lookouts in their crow's nest shortly before all hell breaks loose, because that of course is the defining moment of the entire (true life) Titanic saga. It may not portrayed in an entirely accurate manner from a historical perspective, but it nevertheless captures the last moments of Titanic as a live, viable ship.

Just my five cents' worth...

S

Susan Leighton

"Take her to sea, Mr. Murdoch, let's stretch her legs"...or something like that...and the camera pans over the deck from the front end of the ship (the bow?!) all the way to the back of the ship (the stern?!) that's breathtaking.
Susan Y. Leighton

A

Alicia Windsor

Call me sentimental if you must, but I'm a sucker for the ending scene - starting when they show old Rose's photographs through to the end credits. I love the music in that scene, they mixed different parts of the soundtrack together for a really haunting effect. I need to watch it again soon...

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
I too love the music in that scene Alicia. I also find it very interesting to see all the photos of Rose throughout her life, doing everything her and Jack were going to do. That was Kate Winslet in all those pictures right?

K

Kristen Maitland

I'm pretty sure they were all Kate, James. Though the only ones I can see clearly are the one of Rose with the airplane, and the one when she's on a horse in front of the roller coaster. The rest are kind of blurred or the camera pans by them too quickly for me to really make them out.

The music, IMHO, was the second best thing in the movie after the costumes. I have both CD's "Titanic" and "Back to Titanic" with James Horner's beautiful scores.

May 12, 2002
Hi Alicia,

It's a great scene, but the thing that does it for me isn't the music, but the transition between the wreck and the ship. Not just a simple fade, but a gradual coming back to life ... brilliant.

Cheers

Paul

Jul 11, 2001
While not my favorite scene, a interesting one is in the Palm court where Rose, Cal, Molly, Ismay and Andrews are present and talking about the name Titanic. When Rose stands to exit, all the men quickly stand except Cal! Is this James Camerons way of saying Cal was not socially correct because he was an American? or just self absorbed? Or am I the only one who noticed? LOL.
Dave PS: The "Stretch her legs Mr.Murdoch" is my favorite scene.

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
I noticed that too David - I think it was just showing that Cal was being his Jack A$$ self!!
happy.gif

My favorite (and I believe a very touching) scene was when the ship was going down and they were playing "Nearer My God to Thee" and showing the various scenes. No matter how many times I watch that - I cry. Music can be a very powerful thing. - Beth

K

Kristen Maitland

Beth - Billy Zane was brilliant, wasn't he? For me he's easily the best cast member (and character) in the movie. I'd take him over Jack "looks like a 12 year old" Dawson any day. LOL.
happy.gif

Jul 11, 2001
Oh I agree! The Cal character has better lines too. The scene on the private promenade where he flips the table over for example, "you are my wife in practice if not yet by law .....etc etc.... the whole dialog was quickly read, but if you listen carefully you can pickup the meaning quite well. Bravo for Cameron! Too bad the only lines dicaprio could utter had the word Rose in them. "Run Rose, jump Rose, heel Rose, Fetch Rose" LOL. But Cameron also knew he needed some eye candy to attract the younger crowds, thus ticket sales, so Leo did achieve this. David

K

Kristen Maitland

David, that breakfast scene with Cal's rant was great, so well acted by Billy Zane and one of the better parts of Cameron's script.

Another scene I like is the one with Rose and Ruth where Ruth is doing up Rose's courset. Ruth's speech about the father leaving them with nothing but a good name and bad dets is another well acted, well script scene.

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
Another one of my favorite scenes is the first class dinner. It really gives you a feel you are sitting at that very table on the Titanic eating a true meal. Forget the story line, the costumes and set were enough to satisfy me!

Jul 11, 2001
James, Great scene indeed. Just image being at the table with all those facinating people. The way it was filmed almost let you believe you were sitting there in Jacks' place, almost evesdropping on history!

David