Favorite Titanic Books

C

Cornelius Thiessen

Admittedly I have'nt read every Titanic book out there but my 2 very favorite books are Don Lynch's Titanic An Illustrated History and Paul Quinn's Titanic At 2 AM. Both very well written, illustrated and researched.Anyone else have a favorite that stands out from the others?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
You just named a couple of them. "Titanic Triumph and Tragedy" are also up there as is "Ken Marshcall's Art of Titanic," Wyn Craig Wade's "Titanic, Death of a Dream," Michael McCaughans's Birth of the Titanic and (Of course) Geoffrey Marcus "The Maiden Voyage."

Can't leave out the one that really got modern day Titanic research going which was Walter Lord's "A Night To Remember."

C

Cornelius Thiessen

You're absolutely right Michael, how could I forget ANTR? I do believe he interviewed more survivors then any other modern writer.

As for the other books you mentioned I have not been fortunate enough to read them.Titanic books here on the prairies are a rare commodity, even in the librairies.They have an abundance of Pellegrino's and Gardiner's and little else
sad.gif
I will have to make use of MIchael Tennaro's Titanic booksite
happy.gif

Dec 6, 2000
As good as many of these books are - once you read the Inquiries themselves, you realize how much ANY of these books owe to them. I was absolutely amazed to see how much of ANTR came out of the Inquiries.

But then, it's only been the last 5 years or so that the Inquiries have been generally available. Before that, all you could do is go for these books. Now, we have the choice.

John Flood

Mar 1, 2004
IMHO, "A Night To Remember" is still the yardstick, by which other Titanic books should be measured, with regards to the sinking, and events that led up to it.

Dec 6, 2000
No argument there about ANTR being the yardstick. I've read it at least 5 or 6 times. The first time, around 1963. The last January 2002.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
"A Night to Remember," "Titanic at 2AM," "Dusk to Dawn," "Ken Marschall's Art of Titanic," "Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy," "Titanic: An Illustrated History," and probably a few others I'll remember later. I have at least 40/50 books.

One that's still near and dear is "The Titanic: Lost and Found," the first book I ever read on the ship. Unfortunately, it got mistakenly sold in a yard sale and I really should get another copy...if any are left.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, let's not forget David Brown's "Last Log of the Titanic" which IMO, may well set a trend for future forensics studies of the ship. It certainly changed my understanding of the technical side of the disaster. This is a "Must Have" in my opinion as it not only gives some background into understanding what current views he has, David is one of those people with the incredibly rare gift of being able to explain some very complex technical concepts in a fashion that is readily understandable to the layman and readable as well.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"One that's still near and dear is "The Titanic: Lost and Found," the first book I ever read on the ship. Unfortunately, it got mistakenly sold in a yard sale and I really should get another copy...if any are left."

Yep, there's a more recent edition being sold in the bookstores. I picked one up recently just for the illustrations. Copies are also being sold on ebay from time to time, including first editions.

"A Night to Remember" and "Titanic: An Illustrated History" which already have been mentioned are two of my favourites. "Titanic Voices" and "Ghosts of the Abyss" are also excellent books to have in one's collection.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
There's first editions still available? That was what I had. And right now I'm in my second year of college. How the time flies...

And I knew I forgot some...those are also excellent choices, Jason.

Sep 1, 2004
I like a book from a czech author Milos Hubacek "Titanic" It's all about Titanic with photos, maps and illustrations. Author is czech historian interested in Titanic.