Favorite Titanic Books

inmybookcase

Apr 5, 2012
Some of my favorite Titanic books are:

A Night to Remember by Walter Lord
The Night Lives On by Walter Lord
White Star: A Dog on the Titanic by Marty Crisp
Titanic trilogy by Gordon Korman (Unsinkable, Collision Course, S.O.S.)
Voyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White

I posted some mini-reviews of each of these on my blog.
Check out this post:
In The Bookcase: Titanic Booklist (#1)

What are some other great Titanic books that any of you would recommend as "must reads"?

Frin

Apr 8, 2012
How about Missing in Time? It's a new book.

Check out this post:

What are some other great Titanic books that any of you would recommend as "must reads"?

inmybookcase

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the reply! I got the message you sent me through my blog too. Your book sounds great! Would love to read it. I now have "Missing in Time" on my Titanic booklist!

Apr 17, 2012
Georgia
A Night To Remember
The Night Lives On

Those are my all time favorites and the ones I read over and over again. I also like the childrens book Polar The Titanic Bear and Voyagers of the Titanic by Richard Davenport-Hines.

J Burdette

Dec 30, 2011
I enjoyed Korman's books as well. Here's a list of Titanic books that I recommend:

The Titanic: End of A Dream~Wyn Craig Wade

Titanic : A Survivor's Story ~ Archibald Gracie

Loss of the SS Titanic ~ Lawrence Beesley

The Sinking of the S.S. Titanic ~ John Thayer

Titanic: Fortune and Fate ~ Beverly McMillan

Lost Voices from the Titanic: The Definitive Oral History ~ Nick Barratt

The Titanic Disaster Hearing audiobook is also one of the few audiobooks that I can say I like. It has a large cast of voices.

And if you are interested in crew biographies there is Titanic Captain by Gary Cooper, Titanic and Other Ships by Charles Herbert Lightoller, The Odyssey of C. H. Lightoller by Patrick Stenson, Titanic Hero by Arthur Henry Rostron, Titanic Survivor by Violet Jessop. There is also the recently released Titanic Valour by Inger Sheil. Haven't read it yet since my copy is still on order.

inmybookcase

Apr 5, 2012
Oooh! J Burdette, you have so many good books that I haven't read yet myself. I plan to continue reading some Titanic books throughout the year, and all the titles you mentioned here are going on the list. This is just awesome.

Jul 14, 2012
Here are some I would recommend:

Ballard, R. D. & Sweeney, M. Return to Titanic, National Geographic, 2004.

Ballard, R. D. Titanic: the last great images, Patrick Stephens, 2008.

The Ballard books are great for the images and for information about its discovery.

Eaton, J. P. & Hass, C. A. Titanic: Destination Disaster - the legends and the reality, J H Haynes & Co, 3rd ed. 2011.

I loved this book for the depth of detail about the ship.

Jessop, V. Titanic Survivor: the memoirs of Violet Jessop stewardess, History Press, 2007.

J Burdette also mentions this book. It’s a good read and not just about her Titanic experiences.

Beveridge, B. & others. Titanic: The Ship Magnificent: volume 2: interior design and fitting out, History Press, 2008.

The Beveridge is not for the faint-hearted: it’s very detailed. Having said that, it’s a must-read for information you can’t get elsewhere.

Hope you enjoy them!

Jul 25, 2012

Check out this post:

I also like the Korman books, as well as Titanic: the most complete story ever told by Matthew Volbrecht. (I found that one in the iBooks Store on my iPad. It's both informative and captivating, even for those who have never heard of Titanic (I pity them!))

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Might not be the favourite Titanic book if you're one of those nit-picking experts but personally I loved reading Charles Pellegrino's "Her Name Titanic." Sort of brought the whole story to life. And of course classics like "A Night To Remember" will always be near the top of the list!

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
1. On A Sea of Glass by Fitch, Leyton & Wormstedt
2. Report into the Loss of the SS Titanic... by Samuel Halpern
3. Dusk to Dawn by Paul Quinn
4. Titanic: An Illustrated History by Lynch & Marschall
5. Titanic at 2am by Paul Quinn