Favourite film footage of the Titanic

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
PLEASE READ!!! ONE POST PER PERSON!!!

Sorry...that was to grab your attention before digressing from the main point of the thread like I normally do!

We all have our opinions on various films about the Titanic but, for the record, why not have everybody on the board (USING ONLY THE TITLE OF THE FILM, TV SHOW, OR DOCUMENTARY - please help moderators! xoxox he he) submit their favourite film footage of the Titanic above all else.

One post per person and we'll all keep a count on things!

My personal choice is: A Night To Remember.

Regards

Sam

Jan C. Nielsen

Dec 12, 1999
Vote: (X) The Time Tunnel (1968).

It's terrible, but there's no pretense about it being good --something which other Titanic films cannot claim.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I'm with you, Sam. A Night to Remember. But only because it's been years since I saw the Time Tunnel, but I do remember Michael Rennie with fondness for portraying Capt. Smith ("Klaatu, Borada nikto.")
Kyrila

Apr 11, 2001
Okay- I can hear the hisses and tomatoes being hurled. Yes, I set the clock for 4am back when there were no VCR's to see ANTR- and thrilled at the sight of that iceberg scene. But my favorite (am taking cover now) is SOS Titanic.-THE LONG VERSION. Yes Cloris Leachman was the pits, but my jaw hit the floor at that matteshot of the T in Queenstown harbor, in color for the FIRST time. And that poor beautiful Irish girl and Martin... third class portrayed with a heart for the first time. And a VERY nice Tommy Andrews and small role casting. Susan St. James I would feed to the sharks but the rest were good stuff! Superb Countess of Rothes in the Turkish bath- and Maude Slocum! Believable Irishmen- not stereotypes. Sympathetic Ismay- some really great lines-"ALL that beauty... only a few chairs"- while looking into the ocean the next morning-good stuff. GREAT soundtrack too.

May 5, 2001
It's terrible, but there's no pretense about it being good --something which other Titanic films cannot claim.

Good morning Jan, The "Time Tunnel" Episode of which you speak was NOT terrible, for the time it was done for TV, it was damn good, I KNOW you KNOW that 1953's Titanic shots were woven into that episode.......it presented such a classic paradox....time travel...friend or foe?
==================================================
Shelley, I won't quote you but I was happier with the longer version myself but I still didn't think it ranked up there with my choice which I will name next post!

==================================================

Looking forward to voting on this,
Bill

May 5, 2001
NO CONTEST.....................

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER​

Good casting, no stupid love story script, bare-to-the-bones-get-right-to-it screenplay

Special effects alone gives it to 1997's "Titanic" but overall it's ATNR without question.

Before VCR's were invented, I never missed this movie NO MATTER what time it was on,
Bill

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Shel, no need to apologize for "S O S Titanic" - I, too, found it richly written and thought out (the original version) plus it's the ONLY version I've seen that portrays Beesley.

And, while the special effects are awe-inspiring and the music haunting in Cameron's "Titanic", I, too, have to go along with the crowd here - "A Night To Remember". I bet I've watched this one at least twice as many times as any of the others.

Best regards,
Cook

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Sorry for the second post, Sam - Just wanted to tell Kyrita, who is so fond of Michael Rennie (as am I), that Rennie also narrated the final scene in the '53 version of "Titanic".

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
I'm with Nigel,

1997 Version.

...For the simple reason that it triggered my interest. It has a lot to answer for!

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Hi, Pat,
I just watched the '53 movie (You ARE referring to the Barbara Stanwyck flick?) and didn't even notice any narration at the end at all! It must be edited from my video. Drat! You just can't trust anything you get at Tar-zhey.
Kyrila

May 5, 2001
Hi Kyrila,

I'm afraid Pat is right my dear, right after the Stern slips under:

"On April 14th, 1912 at 2:20 am, the RMS Titanic passed from the british registry"

I have the movie here, it was only 14.98 at Suncoast a few years ago.

It was better than SOS Titanic (the short version), even with all of it's shortcomings and they did use clips from that one for the Time Tunnel Episode.

Feeling better today,
Much regards,
Bill

K

Karen Sweigart

I'm going to vote even though I have only seen "Raise the Titanic" and "Titanic" (1997). I vote for "Titanic".

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Karen

That's a bit like matching up Stan Laurel with Mohammed Ali!

An the winner of the Oscar (so far) is:

ANTR: 7 votes
Titanic: 3 votes
Time Tunnel: 1 vote
SOS Titanic: 1 vote

Hmmm... a clear favourite emerging!

Keep the votes a comin' (and the arguments to the other threads! he he!
happy.gif
)

Regards

Sam

Mar 3, 1998
My favourite is the 1953 version of "Titanic." That was my first exposure to the disaster and it started me on the path which has led me to this point. There may have been better written (although the '53 "Titanic" won the Oscar for Best Writing, Story and Screenplay) and more historically/technically accurate Titanic movies in its wake, but I'll always give the nod to the movie which first sparked my interest in the ship.

A personal choice, yes, because I can't speak for everyone else.

Parks

May 12, 2005
All,

I vote for Titanic (1997) because of its lavish recreation of the ship and attention to detail in costumes and sets. Also to me the realism of the shots of Titanic in port, sailing, and sinking are far superior to any other and the overall ambience of the Edwardian era which this film captures also makes it far and away better.

ANTR as a book is phenomenal, as a film it is dull, however close to the real story it may be. The sets in ANTR were only nominally good and the costumes, I feel bound to add, were awful. Edith Russell was right to complain about them being inauthentic and MacQuitty should have allowed her some imput in this area.

To me, even with Cameron's taking liberties with some facts and his overconcentration on the fictional story line, Titanic succeeds admirably in portraying the horror and emotions of the disaster.

And no film can compete with Titanic's vivid depiction of the sinking and, especially, its aftermath.

Randy