Favourite film footage of the Titanic

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Worst? I don't know!
If it has something to do with Titanic, i'll watch!!!
The 96 series was a real stinker!
But as for best affects for the ship?
Camerons, hands down!
I agree with Adam that the sinking sequence and total look of the ship was superb!
To hell with the love story.. I went to see the ship!!!
All the Best, Don

S

sharon rutman

I still think Raise the Titanic (both book and film) are both the pits!!! Clive Cussler is a sexist jerk.

Dave Moran

Apr 23, 2002
I seem to remember the book had an incredible amount of sex, in one case in one of the bedrooms on the Titanic itself ?

One presumes they removed the rotting bedclothes, rotten woodwork and any skeletons that may have been lying about beforehand...

Otherwise, it might ruin the overall ambience.

Dirk Pitt always struck me as an incredibly tedious fellow, probably very dull to talk to at parties...

' Yeah, after I raised the Titanic, stopped the Whitehouse from being shelled by a reconditioned WW2 battleship armed with nuclear shells, united Canada and the USA in one big nation and discovered what really happened to Abraham Lincoln, I took a coupla weeks holiday.."

" Really ? Well, if you'll excuse me, I must go and talk to someone else. You just stand there and flex your ego..."

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
One thing about all the above mentioned movies which is quite good. This is just my opinion but I've always enjoyed the music scores in all of the Titanic movies - even the dreadful 96 Scott version. I wish somebody would put together a CD with all these - Titanic Themes.

JMHO here.

Best regards,
Cook

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
There is such a CD actually, albeit done by a slightly less than full orchestra. It's called "Titanic: The Ultimate Collection" and in addition to featuring themes from the usual sources (Cameron) is also the only CD that features any recording of the fanfare from the 1953 Fox movie "Titanic" (which is just about the only music heard in the film), and also Lennie Niehaus's lovely Main Title for the 1996 miniseries.

Be sure to also get Silva Screen's wonderful rerecording of the complete score to "Raise The Titanic" as well, along with the Broadway musical CD (the superior Titanic production of 1997) to complete your Titanic music collection.

And Clive Cussler's early novels are still a good read.
happy.gif

May 5, 2001
Pat,

The original version of "Raise The Titanic" (music by John Barry) is available on CD, it's a terrific soundtrack....I own it, I should know as well as the soundtrack to The discovery channel's documentary "TITANIC: Anatomy of a disaster".

Eric is correct about "TITANIC: The Ultimate Collection" (have this one also), it does contain the themes to mostly all of The TITANIC films, however, they are not from the original composer who actually scored it but it's the next best thing.

Eric,
You are way too hard on "Raise The Titanic", I agree it wasn't a cinematic masterpiece but if the filmmakers really wanted to make this a great flick, they would've stuck to the book religiously....they skimped on the Russian conflict, imagine the cinematic extravaganza of a fully laden USA/Russian conflict over the Titanic?

Maybe someday, they will remake it correctly.

Regards,
Bill

Apr 11, 2001
Bill- I must agree- Vixen 03 was really good-and that was before anybody was thinking about the Empress of Ireland. I will always have a soft spot for Raise the Titanic- not only because of the wonderful Barry soundtrack, and heart-stopping scenes when she comes to the surface-but also that very nostalgic and sentimental interlude when Pitt is first aboard and is walking alone through the dining room-the music is positively haunting. It is how I would want to view the wreck if it were possible. In fact- when the first artifact exhibit opened at Greenwich, I was able to walk through the darkened spaces alone and the effect of seeing Titanic in that manner for the first time is well... full of wonder. Once I was giving a little presentation at the local library and noticed a boy about 16 in the back of the room listening intently. On a VCR I showed the part of Raise the Titanic where the ship is breaking the surface-with the screeching metal and cascading water. Afterward the boy came forward with his father and told me he had not realized the size of the ship. Then he asked if he could look at my Entex model I had placed on the podium while I was talking to the group. He lightly ran his fingers all over it- I was afraid something would break- he touched the propellers and funnels-and after a while stood back and said-"So that's what an ocean liner looks like." Suddenly I realized with a shock that the boy was blind since birth and had no notion what a liner was or the mammoth size-he had heard the bulk of the ship on the film. So one never knows how something may touch someone's life.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Just to clarify one thing Bill, the "Raise The Titanic" CD is a rerecording done by the Prague Philharmonic according to Barry's original orchestrations. The tracks recorded for the film itself alas, are lost, despite the efforts of soundtrack buffs to track them down.

Remaking "Raise The Titanic" is alas, something that's never apt to happen since real history overtook Cussler's imagination and gave us a Titanic wreck not like the one in the book. It would have to be reinvented as a salvage expedition rather than a raising.

May 5, 2001
Shelly,

The story with that kid is thought provoking no doubt about it..thanks for sharing it.

Eric,
I didn't know that, sounds damn well like the original soundtracks in the movie, you could've fooled me and you did!
I hate when he does that!
Well damn, it's still the soundtrack from the movie no matter what.....sounds damn good too.
Shell is right "Memories of Titanic" is a wonderfully haunting piece of music, have added it to my compilation tapes a dozen times.....
Shell, if you get a hold of the "Anatomy of a disaster" soundtrack, on track two or three I believe, there is a 3-parter, the middle one is called "History" another haunting piece....it's about 1:45 seconds long but does the job well.

I'll send you another real haunter off topic in mail, this one choked me up when I heard it.

Regards,
Bill

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Then how come Loren Smith keeps holding her own everytime she appears?

Cussler's early novels, from "Mediterranean Caper" through "Cyclops" were wonderful stories set within a largely consistent universe. "Treasure" and "Dragon" were when he started to run out of steam and the problem is that he no longer writes with any consistency or any regard for what happened in previous novels. (It's especially annoying that he ignored the ramifications of the endings of his past novels, which I shouldn't mention because that would give away the endings of some of his better ones). That being said, he's one of the few novelists I still buy whenever one of his books come out.

S

sharon rutman

Well, Cussler does need to add some female love interest to Dirk Pitt or the books would be even more boring. Besides Loren Smith doesn't show up in Raise the Titanic; this bimbo shows up in later books

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
I'm with Eric on this one. I thought that Raise the Titanic was extemely well written. An amazing number of plotlines, all climaxing in the Dining Room of the raised ship - brilliant! And this was all written well before the Titanic became popular again with a wider audience.

Shame the film was pants...

My favourite Cussler novel is Night Probe - if only because of the cameo appearance of James Bond!
happy.gif

And I'm not too sure I'd call Loren Smith a bimbo! As Eric says, she certainly holds her own every time she makes an appearance in any of the novels. If I remember correctly, Dirk Pitt had two other major "love interests" within the series: Summer Moran and Maeve Fletcher (I think?).

Regards,
Paul.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
No, she's not in RTT, but she's hardly been a helpless bimbo. And say what you want about Cussler, one thing his books aren't is boring. "Mediterranean Caper", "Iceberg", "Raise The Titanic", "Vixen 03", "Night Probe", "Deep Six" and "Cyclops" are all magnificent and the rest are good in concept but suffer from a problem of recycling familiar ideas.

S

sharon rutman

I think my problem is that Cussler's books are really a guy thing. For years the Titanic was considered so Macho that it was hard for women to break in.

J

Jake Angus

Yeah, remember Susan St. James and that guy on the night of the sinking, after dinner? Susan's leaning on the rail in the flimsiest of frocks, and her male companion ain't doin' much better. With the temp. at freezing + the windchill..... oh, yeah!!!!!!!! Bring it on!
eh.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
How about the 1996 CBS Mini-Series.
sad.gif

George C. Scott was NO!!!! Captain Smith (you can't put George S. Patton in every character you portray).

Catherine Zeta Jones has since proved she can do much better.

The rest of the characters: forgettable.

Actually the cast of that mini-series typified a parody once put forward by Cassandra Anderson, known to many, in the 70s and 80s, as "ELVIRA: Mistress of the Dark": she took a line from a Vincent Price film, where his character is reciting an incantation, in an unknown language.

At the commercial break, "ELVIRA" shows us "the subtitle translation":
"I know it's a TURKEY, but it's paying the Rent".
evil.gif
crazy.gif

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Hey John!

Please, sir, I must correct you. Being an avid Elvira watcher, her real name is Cassandra Peterson. However, under either name I'll toast her ANYtime!

Also, one thing you CAN say about "S O S Titanic" that I can't say for any other Titanic film (well, that I've ever seen, anyway) - at least, it DOES show all three classes. Invariably, the usual film shows First and Third class passengers. This one, via Lawrence Beesley (also the only time he has been portrayed), gives us a glimpse of Second Class.

Best regards, all around,
Cook

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Sorry about the names, Pat. Seems I'm starting to develop "Senior moments".
blush.gif
cry.gif

I do agree: "A toast to Elvira"; no comment about what I'll offer the CBS Mini-Series.
evil.gif
shock.gif