Favourite film footage of the Titanic

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I have to agree with Randy on this one. For all it's flaws (Lets face it, this is Hollywood were talking about here,) Titanic 1997 is at the top for SFX set design, and for bringing the ship itself to life in a way equalled by nobody...to say nothing of the horror and violence of her end.

Allright, the story itself wasn't the greatest, but what the hell. \o/

For accuracy of events however, ANTR is still King of the Hill!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

K

Kathy Savadel

The 1953 (Stanwyck/Webb) film is my personal favorite.

Kathy

P.S. When I bought my copy a few years ago the store clerk had the AUDACITY to say, "you do realize this isn't the one that came out a few years ago (i.e., Cameron's Titanic), right?" Good gracious!

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
I'm going to have to vote for "Raise the Titanic" even though mine is probably the only vote that this particular film will register!

My reasons? Pure sentimentality. The Clive Cussler book got me interested in Titanic back in 1981 and, although the film itself is terrible, watching it reminds me of my original enthusiasm to find out more about the "Big T."

As for the scene when she finally bursts out of the water - it's got to be worth watching the film for that moment alone!

Regards,
Paul.

D

Dean Manning

Cameron's 1997 "Titanic" has my vote. The sets were accurate, and the special effects were awesome. Movies are for entertainment; and ANTR was too much like a documentary...

-Dean

May 5, 2001
The 1953 (Stanwyck/Webb) film is my personal favorite.

Hello Kathy and welcome to our group, I have to be honest here, there is some kind of resinating value of 1953's TITANIC because I keep watching it every so often. But ATNR is still the greatest Titanic film for sheer docudrama alone.
=================================================
I'm going to have to vote for "Raise the Titanic" even though mine is probably the only vote that this particular film will register!

My reasons? Pure sentimentality. The Clive Cussler book got me interested in Titanic back in 1981 and, although the film itself is terrible, watching it reminds me of my original enthusiasm to find out more about the "Big T."

As for the scene when she finally bursts out of the water - it's got to be worth watching the film for that moment alone!

Hi Paul, let's not forget the terrific score by John Barry, which I own........
The fact that it was in one piece, not two, which is something I am sure everyone wishes it could be.
The storyline was good...IF...there was more involving the Russians and not just a little putsy Russian with an ultimatum
The fact that someone was left in one of the Cargo holds when she sank, wouldn't the pressure have exploded that Cargo hold if it wasn't full of water as the movie showed?
If nothing else, I agree with you, the raising of The Big T was worth the price of admission to see that movie

Sincerly,
Bill

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hello,

A Night to Remember. It was the first film I ever saw about Titanic and the best.

Regards,

Hildo

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
My vote would have to be for...Cameron's Titanic. Simply for bringing her as close to 'back to life' as we're ever going to see, it was stupendous-though if anyone mentions Jack and Rose to me, I'll punch them on the nose! Let's take ANTR's cast and action, and place it in Cameron's CG-effects world; THAT would be something to see!

Apr 14, 2001
my vote is 1997s titanic because eventhough it was mostly a love story the tale seems real to me because of the special effects and because for the first time it showed what it took to keep the ship moving and and the ship looked real to me and i hope there are others who agree with me on this jennifer mueller

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I'm with you, Mike. Let's redo Cameron's movie (the sets are still available in Baja, or if worse comes to worse, we could always go to the museum in Orlando) with the ANTR script and cast. Although Bill Paxton is kinda cute! And I loved that Cameron included haunting pictures of her as she is today (the ship, that is, not Rose.)
Kyrila

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Hello Everyone,

Sorry to post so late. I have to go with ANTR. It had incredibly accurate sets for a pre-wreck film, great effects for 1958, and was (and remains) arguably the most historically accurate Titanic film in history (except for the lack of breakup, and the launch scene).
Cameron's film was nice, but the Jack/Rose thing was completely unnecessary. When I heard that he was making a Titanic movie, I was expecting a remake of ANTR. Oh well. One thing that I did like about it, though, was how it showed the days at sea. I liked that a lot, since it was the one thing that I felt ANTR lacked.
Just some thoughts,
David

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Hi all.
I have to go with Cameron's "Titanic." Okay, it had a couple of advantages over the other main candidates. Namely an ENORMOUS budget and special effects which have improved beyond all recognition since the earlier movies.

It no doubt has its faults (which movie doesn't?), but its tremendous sets and rich colour give us the nearest thing we can hope for to a view of what the real Titanic must have looked like. The sinking scenes are surely the best ever filmed, if not one hundred percent accurate. But then who knows exactly what it WAS like???

Cheers.
Matthew L.

Jun 18, 2007
If beauty over substance floats your dinghy, then I guess "Titanic" would be the hometown favorite.

Funny thing, for me it's not the ship that I care about, it's the people, and "Titanic" has no heart, no soul, just a lot of beauty.

So guess which movie is my favorite? Ask the Church Lady...

"A NIGHT TO REMEMBER"

and second favorite is now officially "S.O.S. Titanic" (just got it at the library today for $3, and hey whatcha know...there were PEOPLE on the Titanic! And none of them did the horizontal mambo in the back of a Renault!)

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
The story so far:

ANTR: 10.5 VOTES
Titanic (1997): 9.5 votes
Titanic (1953): 3 votes
Time Tunnel: 1 vote
SOS Titanic: 1 vote
Raise the Titanic: 1 vote

(The 0.5 votes each for Titanic and ANTR are a result of the torturous conflict going on in the mind of Mr. Standart!
happy.gif
)....his decision could lead to a hung parliament!

Regards

Sam

May 5, 2001
Let's take ANTR's cast and action, and place it in Cameron's CG-effects world; THAT would be something to see!
---------------------------------
Mike, don't you know it, that would be one hell of a butt kicking movie....no love story, no horizontal Mambos in a Renault, just the docudrama of ATNR with the special FX of "Titanic"....HELL, it would still be number 1 at the box office today.....Oh alright, so it's a bit of a stretch but definitely worth looking into.
happy.gif
......well maybe not, alot of the principles in ATNR are no longer with us..most notably Kenneth More as Lightoller...died a couple of years back I believe.
--------------------------------------------------

my vote is 1997s titanic because eventhough it was mostly a love story the tale seems real to me because of the special effects and because for the first time it showed what it took to keep the ship moving and and the ship looked real to me and i hope there are others who agree with me on this.
==================================================

Hello Jennifer, the ship did indeed look real and it was in a way, the long range shots with people walking the decks were actually CGI's, the ship itself was stationary and water added to make it appear as if it was moving....all of this information (I believe I got it right) was found in Cameron's Titanic movie book.
=================================================

(The 0.5 votes each for Titanic and ANTR are a result of the torturous conflict going on in the mind of Mr. Standart!

-------------------------------------------------
Hello Sam, I Still insist that it's the ghost of the hamster (see other thread for details on the hamster saga)...the one without the wheel or with the wheel and the hamster aint there, at ANY rate, his tortured mind could be gerbiled...Umm Garbled...sorry! <shrug>
happy.gif

Regards,
Bill

P.S. If I was incorrect about the CGI's in TITANIC , please correct me.....someone!