Favourite film footage of the Titanic

J

Joanne Seiferlein

This isn't a question about a TITANIC movie, but where can one order (via snail mail or thru a store) James Cameron's TITANIC EXPLORER?

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Bah, Cameron's film portrayed the historical events fairly well, in my opinion. You simply have to ignore the main storyline to appreciate the backdrop it's being presented on.

As for the animated film...anyone planning to picket the studios that put out that rubbish?

Adam

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Regretably, I have seen the animated movie. The review Kritina posted the link to is a perfect assessment - I agree with everything down to the collagen enhanced lips. Plagiarism is rife - the visuals lifts from a number of Disney movies (most prominently 'Cinderella') and Cameron's movie (the props lifting out of the water, the hull splitting) are blatent. And that's without even mentioning the three Mexican mice in sombreros. Had to pinch myself more than once to remember that this was ostensibly a movie about an accident that killed one and a half thousand people.

~ Inger

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Mike -

Weren't you there the night Jeff seemed about ready to boot me out of the chatroom if I belted out the movie's theme song one more time? I regret to say that yes, it did have an all singing, all dancing cast. As in the dog raps out a song ('C'mon everybody it's party time'), the mice get to sing at the animal steerage party (and I think at some point the geese who have walked off the set of 'The Aristocats' join in), and there are several other atrocities. Not the least of which is this movie's version of 'My Heart Will Go On', which had one verse sung repeatedly. If you're wondering why I have it memorised after only the one viewing, it's because not only was it sung at the obligatory 'Cinderella at the Ball' scene (or in this case, Cinderella dines first class after descending the Grand Staircase), it was sung over and over and over again as the ship was sinking. Poor Wallace Hartley and the band, with whom the female singer was belting out this little number as the lifeboats were lowered, must have been wishing he could ditch the soft pop ballad and go back to NMGTT:

Hold me, never let me go
For all eternityyyyyyyyyy
My life has begun
Because you're the one
Holding...mmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Repeat x 100

J

Joanne Seiferlein

Something tells me that I'm very fortunate not to have watched the animated version-- that sounds about 50 times worse than the CBS miniseries.
I am afraid that after suchan atrocity I should wish to take Roses's place on TITANIC's stern

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Good God, our compliment's gathering on the stern rail. This could spell disaster.

Don't expect me to take my shoes off. If you fall... uhm, Dan will save you. Yeah...

So be careful and no horseplay out there.

Josh.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Inger, I remember that all too well. (Recall my anguished screams?
wink.gif
)

Joanne, Joshua, if I had to suffer through this animated flick, I'd join you all at the stern rail, and I wouldn't need to be pushed! I'd go off slightly to the side and let the propellors end my pain!

Shuddering,
Michael H. Standart

J

Jan Kite

Well, we all have our favorites and hates. As for me I will watch anything to do with Titanic or for that matter any other ship be it brilliant, not so good or just pure rubbish.We have something to learn from all of them, and even the very worst are entertaining.Regards to all Jan BTS

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Maybe if we ran one of those carnival slides off the stern...<<

Fox Studios (Which explains a lot!) has already done something like this in Sydney Australia last year, only a bit more sophisticated. Gag!
crazy.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!
AN ANIMATED MOVIE!?!?!?!?!?
I am about to vomit until I become comatose!!!!!
A rap bustin out on the decks of the greatest Edwardian achievement of 1912!? Hector the Magpie consorting with the likes of Col. Astor and the Duff Gordons!?
I didn't think that it was possible, but I am actually more disgusted than when I heard of the animated 'Anastasia.' I am enraged! What's next, Freddie the Fax and Walter the Watercooler dancing on the 80th floor of World Trade Tower A!?

Anyway, besides attacking the most sacrilegious film EVER, I had another purpose for posting (although I'm forgetting what it was after my initial rage).

Oh yes! What's wrong with Raise the Titanic!? That movie was (to me) one of the greatest ever made. True, the plot is reminiscent of a bad 70's miniseries, and the acting is possibly worse than the CBS film, but to see the Titanic, the greatest vessel of her day and quite possibly the most elegant shipwreck ever, complete her maiden voyage and steam majestically into New York amidst masses of onlookers, fleets of fireboats, and the Good Year blimp is one of the finest moments in Titanic film history. That coupled with the INCREDIBLE soundtrack to go with it makes it one of my favorites. And you have to admit, some of those effects rival even Cameron's, no small task in the 1970s.

David

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
"Set aboard the famous ship Titanic, where you will meet many lovable characters as they embark on a fun-filled adventure across the sea! Meet Angelica a young, beautiful girl who dreams of meeting her prince charming (sic). Sir William Greenfield a rich and handsome yet shy and modest Scottish nobleman. Corynthia Meanstreak an able swindler who is aided by her two clumsy nephews Kirk and Dirk. And of course we can't forget all the lovable Animals (sic) who populate the Titanic and will tell their own stories. Maxie the mouse, Geoffrey the cat, Danny the Dalmatian, Hector the Magpie and more!! Together these characters conjure up delightful entertainment for kids of all ages !

"As it happened in the real story, the Titanic will hit the iceberg but only to determine the beginning of a new life full of hope for everybody!! Filled with hilarious antics, fun music and enchanting characters this movie is sure to be a hit with the entire family !"

I really did find this quite impossible to believe - can someone please confirm that this was written on the video box.
Why do film makers insist that kids have to be mollycoddled when it comes to real life stories, hence using that as a reason for producing c**p such as this?
Surely half the education of the Titanic story is that life does not always turn out the way you wanted - so why eliminate this side of events?
If kids want a happy ending then by all means remake Snow White or whatever, but not the Titanic!!
I haven't seen this film, but it seems like we have a winner/loser.

Regards

Sam

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Sam - Ayup, that is most certainly what the video case blurb says. I joined with the reviewer in scratching my head over what the passengers would have said had they been told by the WSL officials that they were 'on a fun-filled adventure across the sea'. My recollection is perhaps a bit hazy (one cannot watch something like this sober and get to the end, so sustaining fluid was a necessity), but on every score it was appalling. I don't know if I've ever seen a movie that had so few (if any) redeeming features. Everything from plagiarism to a plot that, even for a kiddie-flick, was trite. Shonky pacing, shonky animation, shonky story. The grandslam of poor animated movie technique. This could be the 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' of the animated genre.

Jun 18, 2007
It's really too bad that Mystery Science Theater 3000 isn't on the air anymore...This animated "film" (more like piece of trash) could be their crowning acheivement!

(And that is saying something!)

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Okay, I have to ask. Is this animated drivel available in the US? I haven't seen it yet in stores here and Amazon.com doesn't have it (its .uk counterpart has it in PAL format, but that doesn't help me).

After what I've heard, I just have to see it out of morbid curiosity.

Kritina,
During MST3K's 10 years, they've only had one animated piece, and then it was simply one of the shorts. It was "A Gumby Adventure: Robot Rumpus" from episode 912: "The Screaming Skull." They always seemed hesitant about riffing an animated film.

Josh.