Favourite film footage of the Titanic

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I don't think even MST3K could have sent up the animated Titanic movie - it's beyond parody. Most of the time Monika and I watched it we were beyond words or comments...although I do remember her utter indignation when one of the mice lit a little mouse-sized candle and started crawling around looking for a missing necklace. 'Since when did mice make candles?' she demanded. Regardless of the fact that said mice were wearing coats, hats and dresses, wielding tallow was apparently a bridge too far for my skeptical flatmate.

This is almost in the Ed Wood school of cinema, Sam. I believe it even had stock footage (the rapping dog). All it needed was Bela Lugosi intoning 'Pull the strings!' and a few buffalo. Don't know if there was a giant mechanical octopus in there, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was.

J

Joanne Seiferlein

All I can say about what I've heard so far about the animated version is:

G-a-a-a-a-a-ck!!!!!

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Hi all.
This animated version will have to be one serious piece of junk to be worse than "Britannic," which definitely wins my vote for the worst Titanic movie ever made. (Hey, I'm not cheating. There is a scene of the Titanic sinking, which qualifies "Britannic" as a Titanic movie!!).

Utter c**p, although some of the technical bloopers are so astounding "Britannic" is almost worth watching for them alone. That WW1 U-boat shadowing an Olympic class liner day after day is too rich for words.

Cheers.
Matthew L.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>That WW1 U-boat shadowing an Olympic class liner day after day is too rich for words. <<

Brother, ain't that the truth, and while submerged yet! I just about fell out of my chair when I saw that. And the heroein "Doing the deed" in bed with the Bad Guy when she knew he was the Bad Guy. Gimme a break!

Still, from what I'm hearing about this animated travesty...er...flick, it's vastly worse!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Hi all.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the heroine and the fiend doing, er, you know what. And the scene where the bad guy redeems himself (or so he thinks) by allowing the ship's propeller to chop him to pieces??? How's that for terrific cinema?

Not to mention the Titantic sinking scene. That was almost an insult to our favourite ship. Nope, this animated thing must be really AWFUL to top "Britannic." It will be quite an achievement if it is.

Cheers.
Matthew L.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
'Awful' doesn't even begin to describe the animated Titanic movie...But then, I'm not quite sure what word or phrase could quite encompass a movie with a terrier dog, dressed in 90's street clobber, rapping out a tune against a graffitied city street. All purportedly taking place on the Titanic.

This is leaving aside the question of the sneering senior officer (referred to by various ranks, but purportedly second in command) who manages to sneak his way into a lifeboat.

Phenomenally dreadful in every way, from production values to plotline to sheer, unabashed plagiarism.

At least they saved all the animals. I was particularly concerned for the chihauhua.

~ Inger

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Inger said;>>At least they saved all the animals. I was particularly concerned for the chihauhua. <<

Well, you got the important priorities strieght. A pity they didn't lose the rest of the cast!
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

K

Kylie O'Donnell

Hi,
I can't say that I've seen the animated version, but I have a feeling that I'll be joining Joanne and the gang on the stern. It sounds, well, as Rose put it in TITANIC:
"That's Disgusting!"
Probably just as well I havne't seen it.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Hi all.
Okay, you've just about convinced me (even though I haven't seen it) that this heap of doggy doo-da could actually be worse than "Britannic". Some achievement, albeit in a dubious way.
Cheers,
Matthew L.

E

Erin Fallon O'Brien-Ryan

Although I was extremely angry at the time, I now thank my father for taping over SOS Titanic with Alien. That movie is total garbage, but then again so is that mini-series. Cameron's film was the most tolerable of the films made after ANTR. I have to say though that I love Raise the Titanic. It appeals to the idealist in all Titanic buffs. It would have been fabulous if Titanic were in one piece and well preserved. Sure the movie was totally unrealistic, but you have to admit it was pretty damned cool.

Charmaine Sia

Nov 25, 2001
1) The 1996 CBS mini-series.

I don't know why I'm saying that it was the worse - to tell you the truth that was where my interest in Titanic actually started! - but it's probably because of the way Murdoch was portrayed. I simply could not believe that any officer would have acted in that manner and thus went to search for information off the internet on Murdoch. He's been my favourite officer since then...
happy.gif

Sad that Murdoch was also portrayed as a coward in Cameron's Titanic - while the set, costumes etc. were good, certainly not the way they remember a brave officer
sad.gif

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one before, but my vote for the worst Titanic movie ever made is Greatest Love of All. While technically only sorta about the ship it is a central part of the story development.

The set was horribly inaccurate. (David Hudson, you would have screamed out loud!!!) They added decks and stair cases where they didn't exist and wouldn't have been anywhere near what they were suggesting they were. The "ballroom/diningroom" didn't even make an attempt to look like anything on board. The cabins looked like a Holiday Inn. Eeeeek! Did the reseachers not even look at the wealth of information and pictures of that era or that ship!!!???!?!!!

The costumes (usually something I can grab on to to enjoy even if the set and/or story is icky)were totally from the wrong period. They looked in some places like the Edwardian revival of the 1970's and that was when they were at their best!!! The hats were from the 20's in the Titanic scenes and from the early 1910's during the 1920's scenes. Was there a snaffu in the wardrobe shop?

And the characters were so thinly drawn it was laughable. I won't even get into the fact that they weren't even close to the characters from the novel, because often times that doesn't matter, but gee if you're gonna change the characters from the book at least make them interesting!

There was an obvious absence of "real" characters in this film (always my favorite part of any Titanic film) No Molly Brown, no JJ or Madeline, no Lady Duff Gordon, no Ismay, no even Capt. Smith. Hello??? What ship were they on??? And the life preservers had SS Titanic printed on them. Wrong wrong wrong. Ug!

But the worst part of this film had to be the sinking. It went down in less than what appeared to be 15 minutes (real time) Rip, Tilt, Sink. All in one piece with funnels in tact. It was like a video game. Oh and then there was the suction. Ship went under and our lead character's boyfriend was sucked out of her grasp into the deep. Again, hello???? Did they not read up on this event?!

And don't even get me started on the inacuracies of the Carpathia!!!

Yes, I know it was a tv movie and all that that implies, but it was extremely disappointing to view. If you like Titanic fiction, read the book. While it is dangerously close to a Harliquine Romance, it at least trys to take an historical look at the tragedy.

Okay, there's my 2 cents for what it's worth. Any one else see this flick? Kyrila?

-kate.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Kate, are you referring to "No Greater Love", based on the Danielle Steele novel? (Now that WAS a Harlequin Romance!) The story of the poor rich girl who loses her parents and her fiance on Titanic and is forced to raise her younger siblings and take over her father's newspaper in San Francisco? Titanic was only in what? The first five minutes of the movie? I think it was made for the low-budget Lifetime Channel.

Kyrila

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I think it was made for the low-budget Lifetime Channel. <<

It was.

Looks like it was done on the Queen Mary too, as was the part about Kelly Rutherford's character crossing over to England to chase her errant sister down.

I got a chuckle over the whisle being blown all the time as...I suppose...some sort of alarm.

As melodrama went, it was pretty cheesy. As history went, it...well never mind. The filter won't let me use the appropriate word.
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Yup that was it. No greater love. But in the movie the family lived in Boston instead of San Fran. and there were only 4 children instead of 6 and the oldest son went into the theatre instead of the 2nd son going into the movie business. . . It is reeeeeaaaaalllly bad. But I disagree that the ship being only in the beginning part keeps it from being a T film. The T event is what shaped their lives and the film, though be it capsulated, does show the sinking before and after. And the Titanic is ALL they can talk about thru out the entire film.
In any case that's why I mention it here.
mad.gif

-kate.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ooops...misunderstanding alert! I didn't say it was not a Titanic film. What I said was that it was done on the Queen Mary...as in filmed on board. That ship seems a popular spot for the Hollywood types to do their filming.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Hmm, looks like they had filmed SOS Titanic on the QM as well, judging from a few key shots. The only thing that wasn't was during the sinking sequence, when they shifted to a set to make at least an attempt at a decent Titanic boat deck.

As for Raise the Titanic being appealing to all Titanic buffs, it was good, but as far as raising the ship, I would've been opposed to it. Of course, that's just me.

-Adam

S

Stacie Crowther

There was a Titanic film done in 1929 which is rough on the eyes and one doen in 1996 with Katherine Zeta-Jones. The disgusting rape scene in the Zeta-Jones starring a crooked crewman, whose sole purpose aboard the ship was to loot, was really bad. Captain Smith was a loud boysterous swine. Everything was completely wrong and obviously reaearch was not done on the characters prior.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
And yet, Marilu Henner (who gets my vote for "Worst Portrayal of 'Molly' Brown") had the audacity to boast to reporters that "their" Titanic movie was wonderful and didn't cost the millions of dollars for special effects that Cameron's film was still spending (at the time of the interview, held months before the release of Cameron's Titanic).
I never did hear her say what she thought of Cameron's movie after it was released, but then I didn't see Franklin Mint doing a doll or costumes based on Catherine Zeta-Jones' character, either.
Sometimes money talks, sometimes it shuts people up.

All the best,
Kyrila