Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Oscarwinning writer Julian Fellowes has criticised James Camerons hit Titanic movie for vilifying the ships first officer by portraying him as a coward The Downton Abbey creator has penned a new fourpart miniseries about the 1912 disaster to be screened on ITV1 But Fellowes told the Radio Times that the 1997 film starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio had unfairly portrayed William Murdoch who was first officer on RMS Titanic | belfasttelegraph.co.uk

More...

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
I think James Cameron had to walk a tight line. As Walter Lord explained, there is some evidence to suggest an officer killed himself, throwing out the possibilities of Capt Smith, C/O Wilde, Mr. Murdoch, and Purser McElroy. I think no matter which officer he portrayed as the one committing suicide, one of the families were going to complain.

Let's face it: no one wants to think a loved one killed themselves.

Sep 25, 2004
I think James Cameron had to walk a tight line. As Walter Lord explained, there is some evidence to suggest an officer killed himself, throwing out the possibilities of Capt Smith, C/O Wilde, Mr. Murdoch, and Purser McElroy. I think no matter which officer he portrayed as the one committing suicide, one of the families were going to complain.

Let's face it: no one wants to think a loved one killed themselves.
Agreed. It's unpleasant, but nonetheless one can't dismiss it out of turn.

Sally@Hichens

Apr 30, 2010
Near Dorking, Surrey, England
Agreed. It's unpleasant, but nonetheless one can't dismiss it out of turn.
A great marketing ploy by Fellowes. Cameron did the right thing by apologising to the family but a) will he leave that scene out in the 3D version of his film and b) how much in depth research was done on Murdoch or did they (Fellowes) just read the Dalbeattie website and perhaps not the Wormstedt one to get a fuller picture.

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Of course, I think the opposite is true: If Cameron hadn't portrayed anyone as having committed suicide, we titanic buffs would be thinking "wait a minute..."

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
A great marketing ploy by Fellowes. Cameron did the right thing by apologising to the family but a) will he leave that scene out in the 3D version of his film and b) how much in depth research was done on Murdoch or did they (Fellowes) just read the Dalbeattie website and perhaps not the Wormstedt one to get a fuller picture.
Well it was not Cameron who apologized to Murdoch's family.It was a representative from 20th Century Fox who traveled to Murdoch's hometown in Scotland to give an apology to Murdoch's family.20th Century Fox is one of the two Hollywood studios that financed the making of Cameron's Titanic. Regards,Jerry