Ferry sinks off of BC's Queen Charlotte Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
>>Resigning right after one of his ferries goes down cannot be a coincidence.<<

Well, it might be...and it might be that he had some real connection to this fiasco and was offered an easy out to avoid the indignity of being very publicly sacked. It's not as if this sort of thing is unknown.

Jason D. Tiller

quote:

and it might be that he had some real connection to this fiasco and was offered an easy out to avoid the indignity of being very publicly sacked.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Then again, I could be wrong.

Bowland's resignation was reported on the local news as not being "coincidental" with the ferry's sinking. BTW, underwater exploration of the wreck has already begun, complete with video.

Jason, are you familiar with the saga of Ripple Rock up in the Seymour Narrows? The day they blasted it into gravel, I was watching a live TV feed. It strikes me that, if the ferry had come to grief on something like Old Rip, they'd have had a ready-made excuse. But not by traveling at high speed on automatic pilot.

Roy

Jason D. Tiller

G'day Roy,

quote:

Bowland's resignation was reported on the local news as not being "coincidental" with the ferry's sinking.

Well, now that makes things interesting.

quote:

Jason, are you familiar with the saga of Ripple Rock up in the Seymour Narrows?

No, I'm not. I'll have to look that one up.

Nasty place, Seymour Narrows. There are several good websites re: Old Rip. I'll see if I can locate the one I particularly like. The *awesome* video of the blast also still surfaces from time to time.

Roy

Jason D. Tiller

Hi Roy,

Thank you very much for the website, it looks very interesting; I'll have to bookmark it for future reference. No problem about the other one, I can wait.

Cheers mate,

Jason
happy.gif

Jason D. Tiller

The latest on the Queen of the North sinking:

quote:

VANCOUVER – A preliminary report on the sinking of a B.C. ferry suggests human error was to blame, not mechanical failure.

The report by the Transportation Safety Board says crew members were unfamiliar with the Queen of the North's new steering and navigation system.

For the rest of the story, click here.

Also:

Ferry's crew unsure of steering

Thanks for the update, Jason. Our local news media have offered no follow-up, which is usual for them once a story's lost its shock value. Nighttime unfamiliarity with the bridge equipment, eh? Raises more questions than it answers.

I can understand them wanting to have complete darkness on the bridge. Even a small amount of light can play hell with the night vision. But they turned off the monitor for the GPS!

Surely the monitor could be installed where somebody could watch it in a closed area. Or didn't they have enough crew for that?

Even without the monitor, surely they should have been steering a safe course to the next way point, perhaps on auto pilot.

Enlighten us, Captain Wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.