Film Chronology or What Happened to April 12th

D

Donna Grizzle

After watching this movie for what is probably about the 100th time, it has suddenly dawned on me that it seemingly skips from April 11th to 13th. I'm sure that it was intentionally done that way but at what point in the movie does this occur? We know it is April 11th up until the end of the "King of the World" scene and I assumed that the scene with Rose and crew having lunch with Ismay, Andrews and Molly Brown was also on the 11th but I suppose there is a possibility that that took place the following day.

What I would like to conclude is this, but if you all have any other insight please share:

Lunch with Ismay, Andrews and Molly Brown/Jack's first sighting of Rose took place on the 11th.

That is followed by the suicide scene which then should take place on the 12th.

This to me seems to be the most logical explanation.

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Hi Donna, quite a time we didn't post to each other, isn't it?

Well, after the "Cherbourg scene", Old Rose says: "in the next afternoon", so, the lunch in the Palm Court must be on 11th.

You're right, the suicide scene is on 12th night.

Regards, João

D

Donna Grizzle

Hi João! Nice to run into you again
happy.gif

I realize I might have misworded this a little bit but I see you realize what I meant. From leaving Queenstown on the 11th to the suicide scene which would have to take place on the 12th, the movie seems seamless. If you didn't know your Titanic chronology you might think all of these things happened on the same day.

Matthew Smith

Mar 12, 2006
it is not correct we have the first night (molly brown comes on) We have suicide, The meal and the the sinking that is only. If titanic set sail on the 10th then this is only the 13th. there is none missing inbetween sucide and the meal so it must either Cherbourg or Queenstown there is missing.

By the way Donna hows the role-playing getting on?

J

Matthew, if the dinner in on the 13th, the Suicide Scene is the day before, so it's on the 12th.I've never said the suicide was in the first night!

D

Donna Grizzle

Yeah, the suicide scene has to be on the 12th. Cal invites Jack to dinner "tomorrow evening" which we know is the 13th. Where I get confused is at which point does it become the 12th? Lunch in the Palm Court, where Jack first sees Rose, or does it wait until the suicide scene.

Role-playing is moving a little slowly at the moment Matthew. Waiting for you to come back! We need ya!

J

Donna, after Jack saw Rose on the 11th, that's a sequence of Old Rose explaining how she was tired of her way of life, when the dinner appears in the screen, just before the suicide scene. That's when it become 12th.

Best, João

D

Donna Grizzle

Actually Matthew, when Molly Brown comes aboard it is still the 10th. Titanic got into Cherbourg around dinnertime the evening of the 10th. When it shows them leaving the coast of Ireland, it is the morning of the 11th. We have since concluded that lunch in the Palm Court also takes place on the 11th, but from there on it skips over about 24 hours to dinnertime on the 12th, the suicide scene.

A

Anne Nottingham

I was just thinking about this yesterday. This is what I think happened:

*Lunch on the Palm Court/Jack seeing Rose- April 11
*Suicide scene after dinner- April 12
*Jack at dinner/party in 3rd- April 13
*Explosion at breakfast/corset scene- April 14

Not easy to tell, though.

Matthew Smith

Mar 12, 2006
In truth anne may be right. We don't know what actually the time difference is between first glance and suicide now do we?

S

sharon rutman

April 12,l9l2 probably wound up on the cutting room floor and didn't make it into the deleted scenes either.

S

sharon rutman

Titanic movies in general are very expensive to produce, so you have to fast forward the timeline to save on the bottom line. The only parts that anyone wants to see is the ship colliding with the iceberg and the sinking or her departure from Southampton. April ll, 12 and 13 are all squished together in one big blur

D

Donna Grizzle

>>>The only parts that anyone wants to see is the ship colliding with the iceberg and the sinking or her departure from Southampton.<<<

That may be true of the general public but not me, and I'm sure a large percentage of members would agree. There is so much more to the Titanic story, specifically post-sinking.

I know there is another thread for this somewhere, what the perfect Titanic movie would be like. It most certainly hasn't been made yet, but I have faith that maybe someday it will be. What I would love to see is the story about how Titanic was created, beginning with the infamous meeting at Lord Pirrie's home discussing WSL's next move to compete with rival lines. I want to see the building of Titanic in Belfast, perhaps with a background story on one of the workers who ends up being part of the Guarantee Group. I want to see background stories on Captain Smith and the officers, other crew and passengers before boarding the ship.

What I'm interested in seeing is basically what hasn't been seen yet. Post sinking, I would like to see the media hype. The early stories which reported all passengers being safe, followed by the learning of the truth of the sinking. The article in the Times reporting the first nearly accurate account which of course was confirmed upon Carpathia's arrival with the survivors. I want to see the reaction of society to the sinking and the inquiries. Finally, I would like to see stories of passengers and crew post sinking, and the way it affected their lives.

I think the story of Titanic is chock full of human interest stories all her own. I don't think you need to create fictional characters, as I once believed, to make the story, excuse the pun, float. The tricky part is portraying the people accurately and tastefully. The creation of fictional characters certainly gives you much more artistic freedom, and that is why Cameron's movie was so successful.

I do have faith that one day it will be made. Hopefully, while I'm still alive!

Mar 3, 2010
it went like this:

southampton,cherburg: April 10th

Queenstown, lunch: April 11th

suicide: April 12th

dinner: April 13th

flying scene, iceberg: April 14th

2:20 am, Carpathia : April 15th

Feb 24, 2004
>>I do have faith that one day it will be made.

Donna, you'd better hope someone invents a time machine first. All those things you want to see would fill several A&E-length documentaries with a great deal left over. It's amazing how little a film screenplay can accommodate and still hold to a commercially viable running time. Selective compression is the name of the game, and in a well-structured film - even one as lengthy as Lawrence of Arabia - a competent screenwriter (in that case, Robert Bolt) will make every word and character count for pages and pages of prose.

Roy

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A lot of what Donna would like to see has in fact been done, but not in cinima but any number of documentaries. (Some of which are occasionally accurate.) Unfortunately, there's so much to the story from beginning to end that it would take a miniseries or more to do it any real justice.