Film of the Olympic at Cherbourg

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member

This gives you a pretty good idea of how the Titanic would have looked as the passengers arrived by Tender to embark. This snippet is from a home movie from the 1920s, is anyone able to tell which tender it is?

This film, or the bit with the Olympic anyway, is three mins altogether and I hope to get it properly scanned so I can share it all soon.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Looking closely at the superstructure of the tender and comparing stern views of both SS Nomadic and SS Traffic; it appears to be the latter. The Traffic had a small step ladder and an entryway to the boat deck, while the Nomadic does not. Images courtesy of nationalhistoricships.org.uk and Nomadic Collection
0 SSNOMADIC 10
SS Traffic in Cherbourg

Incredible footage, I look forward to seeing the rest of it Phil!

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
Thanks for the pics Jason. I think you are right, the film was probably taken from the Nomadic then.

Sequence 02 Copy 0100 00 16 14Still002

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
You're welcome, Phil. I agree, it more than likely was.

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
Had a closer look and in an earlier shot the side of the tender can be seen. Hopefully, this will all be a bit clearer in the new scan.

Olympic film2 OG

brionboyles

brionboyles

Professional Model Builder

This gives you a pretty good idea of how the Titanic would have looked as the passengers arrived by Tender to embark. This snippet is from a home movie from the 1920s, is anyone able to tell which tender it is?

This film, or the bit with the Olympic anyway, is three mins altogether and I hope to get it properly scanned so I can share it all soon.
Yes, PLEASE! <3