Finding 1st edition Titanic books with the dustjackets intact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
Im the type of Titanic book collector that must have 1st edition hardcovers, fitted with the original intact dustjacket.

The books

"Titanic and Ohter Ships" by CH Lightoller

"Sos To the Rescue" by Karl Baarslag

"Loss Of The Titanic" by lawrence Beesley (1929 Nautilus Library edition)

"Home From The Sea" by Arthur Rostron

"Titanic" by Robert Prectyl,

as well as the "Les objects Du Titanic"(I forget the authors name(s), are books that are coveted additions to any Titanic buff's library...
But the above volumes, originally fitted with dustjackets, seldom surface with thier dust jackets intact.

Anyone here on the hunt for a dust jacketed copy of the above books, or are you just as happy to have a book with or without a dust jacket?

My books must have thier dust jackets, or they will be reagarded as mere trading stock...

How important is it to you that your rare Titanic books still have thier original dustjackets?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Hi Tarn, I too, like to collect the ones with
dust jackets, as well as, signed, if possible.
Fortunately, I found a seller who had a few of the books you listed above, with the dust jacket, and some signed as well.I also like to collect the limited editions. One of my favorite items, is
the Lightoller - "Titanic and Other Ships" in paperback form, included with a dust jacket. I
have never seen a paperback with a dust jacket
before. Michael Tennaro, has one shown on his web site.However, if there is a book , out there, that I really want, I would possibly buy it, without the dust jacket, but I prefer to have one on the book. Sincerely, Patty

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Tarn,

Having a dust jacket is the preferred choice for me as well, but I feel the same way as Patty, if there is a book I want even though it doesn't have a dust jacket, I would consider buying it if it's in good condition.

Speaking of which, I purchased a copy of the "Famous Sea Rescues" book at an antique market a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, it does not have a dust jacket, but it's in good condition and I got a super deal for it.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Patty!
One book I sold on Ebay a few years ago when finances were tight was a signed and inscribed 1st edition Baarslag book with an immaculate dust jacket..
Thats one I wish i had kept...

regards

tarn Stephanos

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Tarn, great to hear from you !! I do know that two of my best books came from you. The "Home from the Sea" and the Ismay book, with d.j. I do have the Baarslag book, but alas no dust jacket.I
did finally manage to get the Goldsmith book ,Lightoller (hardback) with d.j. Did you see the dust jacket for the British version of "Home from the Sea" , that Michael has on his web site?

Patty

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Patty!
I sold off most of my rare Titanic books to finance my move to OZ in 2002 to be with my now x-girlfriend- Im glad I went down under,
but now, piece by piece, im rebuilding my Titanic book collection...

Thank goodness I kept my Lightoller, Thayer, Beesley, Gracie and Young books..Gone are my shipbuildewrs, all the marshall Everett and Logan Marshall variations, Bullock, oldham, White, Rostron and Prectyl books...
If per chance you ever want to sell your dust jacketed Rostron- or another dustjacketed one, should it ever surface, let me know...
If not, Im okay with that, as I know youll love the books, and never use them as coasters for your drinks..

I hear rumor that the 1912 Beesley and the 1913 Gracie books had dust jackets- Im doubtful though..

regards

tarn Stephanos

Jun 4, 2000
Being on a budget, it was more important to me to be able to read the books than they be in immaculate condition and with dust jackets. As such, I'm happy enough to have a book without a dust jacket, although with a dust jacket is definitely the preferred option. I did try to get the least worst 'affordable' copy too and in many instances have been able to 'upgrade' when other opportunities arose. ('Drink coasters'. Shudder.)

It's great to be able to see the dust jackets on Michael Tennaro's site, and at least know what I've missed out on.

Tarn, funnily enough, of that list you posted I don't think I've ever seen a copy of Les Objets without a dust jacket.

Patty, I've got quite a few early paperbacks with dust jackets. Unfortunately this doesn't include any that are in my Titanic collection. I've also got several more contemporary paperbacks with dust jackets. They seem to have been in vogue for a while with certain publishers.

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Fiona
Wow, you are lucky if you have run into copies of Les Objects Du titanic with the dust jacket intact...Most collectors i know have dust jacket-less copies...

If you find one with a dust jacket- let me know..Its high on my want list...I had a copy(the picture of which is on Michael's book site), but that was one of the books i sold to finance my move to Melbourne...
Im trying to track down a replacment..

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Rob Ottmers

Jul 21, 1997
Fiona and Tarn, Hi there...

My copy of Les objets Du Titanic has the dustcover. I personally tread in the middle when it comes to dustjackets. I'd prefer them but, like you Fi, it's the material I'm after. That said I usually keep looking for copies of the book with dust wraps. Wierd

All my best,

Rob

Rob Ottmers

Jul 21, 1997
Possession.. Thought I'd snap a shot of the dustjacket...
91101.jpg

One of the first things I do when I buy a new book is to wrap the dustjacket with Mylar.

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Fiona.. what year are your paperbacks with dust jackets? I love old books anyway, but like previously stated, never saw a paperback with d.j.
Could you tell me the author of a couple of those books?
Tarn, if my airline job becomes defunct, I will
let you know, because I will probably be selling
my Titanic books...I do have the Les Objects Du Titanic, with a d.j. as well as Sedunary book-
"Titanic Why" signed by Sedunary (no d.j. on this book - it is paper form) and many other
scarce titles. Let's hope, my airline, stays,
but if not, well.....I won't think about that right now. Patty

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Patty

I hope your job is safe and secure, but if you ever choose to sell your books, i hope youll give me a shot at buying back a couple..My books are like my family, and some of my books I have sold or gave away, I tend to miss terribly..
i know it must sound very silly..

regards

tarn Stephanos

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
It doesn't sound silly at all, if my house was burning, I'd do husband, cats, then Titanic books. In that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.