FIRE IN COAL BUNKER

I've ben told that there was a fire in coal deposit nber 5 since the moment the ship departured from Cherburg.
Could it add some damage to the structure in contact with cold water?.

The fire was out well before the accident. The bulkhead was a little distorted and somebody painted it with oil, presumably to prevent rust. When cold water hit it, no further harm was done. The distortion may have caused minor leaks around the edges but they would have been unimportant. When you are having a major heart attack, a sore finger doesn't matter.

Reactions: 3 users

Robby House

When you say "Coal Deposit No. 5" I'm assuming you're talking about the reported coal fire that had been burning in the forward stokehold on the starboard side of Boiler Room 5 right? More specifically I think this is better described as the starboard side of Stokehold #9 right? I count 11 stokeholds in total with each boiler room containing 2 stokeholds with 5 double ended Scotch boilers that these serviced save Boiler Room #1 which had 4 single sided or ended Scotch boilers. Since each stokehold was divided by the watertight bulkhead doors that separated each Boiler Room at the Tank Top level I guess it becomes more important to state either "port" or "starboard" side when discussing a particular item or event concerning Titanic's stokeholds right?

The fire was out well before the accident. The bulkhead was a little distorted and somebody painted it with oil, presumably to prevent rust. When cold water hit it, no further harm was done. The distortion may have caused minor leaks around the edges but they would have been unimportant. When you are having a major heart attack, a sore finger doesn't matter.
I've ben told that there was a fire in coal deposit nber 5 since the moment the ship departured from Cherburg.
Could it add some damage to the structure in contact with cold water?.

Boiler Room No. 1 had 5 single ended boilers. Boiler Room No. 6 had 4 double ended boilers as there was less space to place 5 as in the others.
The coal bunkers had letters, the one in question was on the starboard side of boiler Room No. 5 and as you rightly said it was stokehold No. 9. The bunker itself was divided by the WTB into two parts. Coal Bunker W was the part in BR 5 and Y in BR 6. Leading Stoker Barrett count it as one (W&Y).

Have you seen this from The Smithsonian Channel? It makes a very compelling case that the fire was far worse than we suspected. The program aired a couple of weeks ago and contains some great, newly-discovered photographs.

VIDEO NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Reactions: 1 users

Tim Aldrich

In addition to what Mark has already shared I would like to suggest adding this article, by Parks Stephenson, to your reading list.

Titanic’s Guardian Angel

Mark, the Radio Ulster link is saying "Sorry, this episode is not currently available on BBC iPlayer Radio." Would you happen know if that episode is available elsewhere?

It really ticks me off when I see people making stuff up like this.Talking about historic subjects to keep the memory alive for future generations is one thing. Pulling blatant lies and stuff out of thin air to get some notoriety and cash is another. This Molony creature just adds more junk to the pot that the rest of us have to use up time and energy explaining away to the less informed who buy into this claptrap!!!

Reactions: 1 users