Fire suppression on Titanic and Olympic

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
What kind of systems or anything on board did the Titanic or Olympic have to prevent the spread of a fire at sea? Or did they have anything at all? I know there was that coal bunker fire, but that's been discussed to death and I'm moreso picturing a fire similar to that of the SS Morro Castle 22 years later.

Was there any kind of internal sprinkler system like on modern ships? Or did they not really think much about shipboard fire safety until after the SS Morro Castle the same way they didn't really think much about "lifeboats for all" until after the Titanic? I suppose if there was a fire on a lower deck, like in the 3rd class dining saloon, they could at the very minimum close the watertight doors and have those act as fire doors, but they wouldn't have had anything like that in an area such as the 1st class dining saloon or the 1st class lounge.

Nov 14, 2005

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Ok thanks. I know in the 1997 movie Rose happened to find that fire ax and fire hose but I get skeptical with some of the historical accuracy of that movie.