Fireman Charles William Lindsay

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
Have any of you met any descendants of him?
According to the obituary from Southern Evening Echo November 21 1960 he had two children and one grandchild:
LINDSAY-Charles William (Bill) of 159 Manor Farm road, loving Dad of Mabel and Fred and dear Grand-dad of Sylvia, passed away suddenly on November 19, aged 79.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Arne!

I've corresponded with a descendant of Mr. Lindsay. (Please contact me privately if you'd like to know more.)

All my best,

George

B

Beryl Bauld

William Charles Lindasy is the brother of May Gertrude Lindsay, paternal grandmother of my sister-in-law Sue Harris, born Hants, lives in Perth Western Australia.
William is the second son of John Lindsay b c 1853 Antigua, and Mary Tanner of Bristol, who married 1876 Bristol Registry Office. In 1891 the family are at Kinson, Dorset. John died 1901, Mary at 30 Chantry Rd, Southampton

Apr 27, 2003
Dear Beryl,
Here is some background information on Mr. Lindsay:
LINDSAY, WILLIAM CHARLES. Saved in Lifeboat number 3. Lived at 3 Coleman Street, St Marys, Southampton. Occupation - Fireman. 30 years old. (Born in Bristol). Ship before the R<S Titanic was the SS Briton.
Died November 19th 1960.
Is reported to be interred in the Old Cemetery, Southampton Common, the whereabouts is not known.
(Newscutting from American paper, Windber. April, 22, 1912.)
William Lindsay was one of the few saved from the Titanic on which he was a dynamo attendant. William Lindsay says he feels too upset to write much and his brother here hopes to hear more from him within a couple of weeks. The survivor of the great catastrophe sailed Saturday on the Lapland for his home at Southampton, England, where an anxious wife and mother await him. Mr. Lindsay does not know whether his wife and mother are aware of the fact that he is living although he was told the steamship company cabled them the news. The letter received by Mr. J. R. Lindsay in part is as follows:
I expect you have heard before now about the Titanic going down, but thank God we got picked up all right. I don't know how mother and wife feel about it, but I do hope that they have heard by now that we are safe, what few there are of us. There were about 60 firemen and trimmers saved out of 400. Stewart Palmer and Charles Newman were drowned. Fred Palmer was saved. He picked us up in his boat. I was on the ship till the water came up to the funnel and got away on a raft. There were 39 of us on it. Oh, but the sight was awful. I shall never forget it, for she broke in three pieces. I only hope that the wife and mother know by now, for the company sent a cable for us. They ought to get that Saturday. Well, Jack, I feel too upset to write more, so will close. Write home as soon as you can.
William Lindsay has been on the seas probably eight years and was on the Olympic when his local brother heard from him before the disaster. His brother did not know he was on the Titanic.
(Newscutting from Southern Evening Echo, 3 July, 1958).
Titanic men for premiere of new film.
A HANDFUL of survivors from the Titanic disaster in 1912, some of whom have not seen each other since, will be at the Odeon, Leicester Square, tonight, to see the premiere of the new Rank Organisation film, A Night To Remember.
The film tells for the first time on the screen the full story of the disaster.
Among the survivors will be Commander H. G. Boxall, the Titanic's fourth officer, who has acted as technical adviser on the picture, and Mr. W. Lindsay, of 159, Manor Farm Road, Bitterne Park, Southampton.
Captain C. V. Groves, third officer of the Californian, the ship that was only ten miles away when the Titanic went down, will be there.
Mrs. Lightoller, widow of the Titanic's second officer, will see her husband's heroic role in the disaster re-created by Kenneth More.

I hope that hellps?

Best regards

Brian J. Ticehurst - Southampton UK

B

Beryl Bauld

Many thanks, I have passed this message on to my sister-in-law in Giddgegannup, Western Australia.
I also found John Lindsay his elder brother on the Ellis Island site, went to US in 1903 - a linesman like his father. Now busy checking the "History of Antigua" for father's family.
Beryl in hot and humid Sydney, ready for the Rugby!

L

lois lindsay

does any one have any info of a william thomas lindsay or william lindsay on board the titanic as he was a steward and carnt find his name any where

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
William Charles Lindsay (also known as Charles William Lindsay) was a fireman aboard Titanic; his name and bio appears under the Engine Department of the crew lists on this site.

Feb 19, 2018
Many thanks, I have passed this message on to my sister-in-law in Giddgegannup, Western Australia.
I also found John Lindsay his elder brother on the Ellis Island site, went to US in 1903 - a linesman like his father. Now busy checking the "History of Antigua" for father's family.
Beryl in hot and humid Sydney, ready for the Rugby!
Charles' brother John Robert Lindsay is my Grandfather. Did you find anything on Charles' father's birth in Antigua? Specifically looking for their grandparents ( possibly John Lindsay and Elizabeth)

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Robert---

Please note that the message you're responding to is from 2003 and its author is no longer a registered member of this message board, so it shouldn't be a surprise if Beryl doesn't answer.