Fireplace in the Gym

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
I'm reading Ken Marschall's report from his dives with James Cameron and I'm just up to the part where he's talking about the deterioration of the gym and when I click the link to the picture, from most I can tell it appears a small fireplace was inside the gym between the single window on the aft wall and the starboard wall. Can anyone look at this picture and confirm that? Thanks.

http://titanic.marconigraph.com/hw01.html

B

Bruce Beveridge

Actually it is the cabinet for the machinery that ran that electric camel. It was part of the equipment.

Bruce

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
I'd agree more with the cabinet than the space heater. From what I've seen it appears that the space heaters would be smaller in size and the design in that image doesn't appear to match up with the space heaters. Thanks for the clarification though.

B

Bruce Beveridge

Maybe this will help. An image of it from the other side.

Bruce
87666.jpg

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It might if it was the same object. The one in the photo linked to above is against the aft bulkhead whereas the one Bruce posted is along the side. Take a look at the number of windows in the background. In the photo on Marconigraph.com, there's only one window behind in that particular bulkhead. with the cabinet in the left hand corner.