First Class Dining Room

Nick Lavenice

Feb 22, 2004
I have been researching the first Class Dining Room on D deck and was having trouble finding information about the windows. I was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of the windows and how far above the floor they were placed. I believe the grand staircase windows were 5 feet tall but I'm not sure if it would be the same in the Dining Room.

Nick

Oct 22, 2008
I'm no expert, but if you go to this url: http://jenandwes.slaughterfamily.com/images/Titanic%20Pics/titanic%20dining%20room.JPG , which shows a set image of the dining saloon, you can kind of estimate it slightly. The walls look to be about eight feet, making the winodws roughly 3 ft by 2 ft. As per the grandstaircase windows, that I'm not to sure of either. If you look at some photos of people standing near the windows outside, you can again make an estimate as to what their dimentions were. Hope this helps, but again, I'm not 100% positive.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Anthony,

Please be advised that Nick Lavenice has not accessed the board in almost 6 months. Therefore, he may not see your message.

You can access member's profiles, by clicking on their name.

Oct 22, 2008
thanks for that Jason, I'm new and I think everybody can tell. Do you know by any chance where I can find information on the remains of the reception room and dining room on D Deck, there's not too much about it?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're welcome, Anthony. What are you looking for on the reception room and dining room? If it's video footage you want, then I recommend getting your hands on a copy of the Ghosts of the Abyss DVD directed by James Cameron. That area was explored during the 2001 expedition to the wreck.

Oct 22, 2008
Thanks Jason, I actually did watch Ghosts of the Abyss and The Last Mysteries of Titanic, both of which didnt show too too much. Perhaps you can answer some of these questions. Ghosts of Abyss showed the framework for the d deck stairwell, yet not too much else is visable. They found the lead glass windows in both the reception and dining room, but that was basically it. When you first come down the stairs, is the boiler uptake with the carved designs still visable? Ken Marshall said that they explored it and found designs still intact. Another question which I have Jason is about the two sets of french doors leading into the dining saloon on both the port and starbord side. Are they still standing as well as the wall that divides the reception and dining room with the windows? And (sorry this is a lot) what about the dining saloon itself. In the movie they showed only 2 dining room windows, but I couldnt make out any columns, arches, hardly any lights, nothing that resembled Jacobean style? Is the dining room completely gone due to the breakup? Thanks

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Anthony,

Sorry it's taken me a few days to respond, but I have been away from my computer.

quote:

When you first come down the stairs, is the boiler uptake with the carved designs still visable?
It's been a while since I've watched my copy of GOTA, so I can't say one way or another if the boiler uptake is still visible. I would have to view my copy again or perhaps if someone else here has that info, they can chime in.

quote:

Are they still standing as well as the wall that divides the reception and dining room with the windows?
I think those doors are still standing, but again I'd have to view my copy again to be certain.

quote:

Is the dining room completely gone due to the breakup?
As far as I can recall, yes, the dining room is gone due to the breakup.

I hope this helps you a bit.​

Karen M

Apr 21, 2008
I have been trying to find pictures of the stained glass from the ship, do you know where I could see some of these pictures since they seem to have the glass showing? Thanks!

Tommy

Jul 21, 2012
United Kingdom
Why does it look like, from the inside, the windows in the Dining room look like windows but from the outside of the ship they look like all the other portholes on the lower section of the ship?

Jul 31, 2012
Why does it look like, from the inside, the windows in the Dining room look like windows but from the outside of the ship they look like all the other portholes on the lower section of the ship?
The windows were I believe hinged on the left side, or perhaps could be entirely removed by latches on the sides to reveal the portholes beneath.