First Class Meals

Aug 31, 2004
Were the meals ten courses EVERY night? How could you eat that much? I read about the filets mignons lili-probably would cost about $5,000 today, with truffles and foie gras on it. How could you eat all of it? Was dinner always as good as the last meal? Was escargot served. I know I'm asking a lot of questions.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As I understand it, the portions tended to be smaller and the meal was an event that was drawn out over several hours. Quite a difference from the way we do it today where you go to the fast food place, or just nuke it in your microwave and hoover it up.

Jul 11, 2001
Michael, not only do people expect it fast today, the trend in most restaurants seems to be over-sized portions. Who can "out do" the competition.

And with most of us on the go, it isn't always convenient to take the left overs with us. Another benefit to ship board life, after dinner you really don't have to be anywhere!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Another benefit to ship board life, after dinner you really don't have to be anywhere!<<

A chum of the opposite gender might disagree...if you're really lucky that is!
wink.gif

Seriously, I can see the point about oversized portions along with some encouragement to bolt it all down in a single sitting. Denny's has a promotion on a 10 pound hamburger and if you can get it down in one sitting, it's free. As much as I enjoy putting the nosebag on and chowing down, I'm not even remotely tempted to have a go at it.
lame.gif

Chase Babin

Jun 8, 2006
Yes, there were several courses, but the courses in themselves were fairly small. For example, if you ordered the roast duckling, you would receive a small portion of a duckling, and that would be your course.