First Class Passengers Cabins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2003
I know it is unlikely but if anyone has any idea what cabins any of the following first class passengers occupied I would be most grateful:

Mr. Ramon ARTAGAVAYTIA
Mr. John D. BAUMANN
Mr. Jakob BIRNBAUM
Mr. George Andrew BRERETON
Dr. Arthur Jackson BREWE
Mr. Frans Olof CARLSSON
Mr. Francisco M. CARRAU
Mr. José Pedro CARRAU
Mrs. Eleanor Genevieve CASSEBEER C-?
Mr. Roderick Robert Crispin CHRISHOLM
Mr. John Bertram CRAFTON
Mr. Robert Williams DANIEL
Mr. Charles Henry HARRINGTON [Mr. Moore's Manservant]
Mr. Alexander Oskar HOLVERSON
Miss Mary Aline HOLVERSON
Mr. Harry HOMER
Mr. William Fisher HOYT
Mr. Charles Cresson JONES
Mr. Ervin G. LEWY
Mr. Erik Gustaf LINDEBERG-LIND
Mr. Edgar Joseph MEYER
Mrs. Leila MEYER
Mr. Clarence Bloomfield MOORE
Mr. Arthur Ernest NICHOLSON
Mr. Alfred Fernard OMONT
Mr. William Henry Marsh PARR
Mr. Jonkheer Johan George REUCHLIN
Mr. Charles Harris ROMAINE
Mr. George ROSENSHINE
Mr. Alfred G. ROWE
Mr. Abraham Lincoln SALOMON
Mr. Frederic Kimber SEWARD
Mr. John Montgomery SMART
Miss Gertrude Maybelle THORNE
Mr. Manuel E. URUCHURTU
Colonel John WEIR
Mr. George Dennick WICK
Mrs. Mary WICK
Mr. Charles Duane WILLIAMS
Mr. Richard Norris WILLIAMS II
Mr. George WRIGHT

Thank-you to anyone who can give me any information.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Leigh, research is on-going and somebody may come up with something new. Unfortunately, the only surviving actual documentary evidence of cabin assignments is the incomplete Cave List. The rest of the information comes from the recollections...often unreliable...of the passengers themselves. You've already seen the known information with the sources HERE. Since they've all since passed away with the exception of the remaining three survivors who are still with us, I think you can appriciate the reasons why there may be nothing new forthcoming.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Leigh,

Robert Daniel almost certainly occupied an A-deck cabin. Edith Russell recalled making the acquaintance of a man with a French Bulldog. The dog's yelps could often be heard from her cabin, A-11. Hence, it is likely that Daniel occupid a nearby cabin. A-1 for example.

Richard Norris Williams described the cabin, which he shared with his father, as L-shaped, and thus it is likely that they occupied a starboard D-deck cabin. This has been discussed elsewhere on the board.

George Dennick Wick and his wife were certainly on C-deck forward. I have suggested C-5 or C-19. Their steward would have been William Faulkner, who survived.

The Meyers, George Rosenshine, Maybelle Thorne, Ramon Artagaveytia may have occupied suite rooms on B and C decks, judging from the high prices they paid for their accomodation.

Many of the single men were accomodated on E-deck and the remaining A-deck cabins.

Hope this helps a bit,

Ben

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Leigh, Ben,

From Craig Stringer's: Titanic People.

"George Brereton later suggested that he occupied cabin 100 on B deck."

Of Mrs Cassebeer, Craig says: "...occupied a cabin on D deck." - I have seen a partial newspaper clipping that says: "My cabin ..situated on D Deck on the starboard side of the boat, and I felt the impact of the iceberg when we ....."

Of Robert Daniel, Craig says: "... occupied cabin 15 on A Deck."

Of Saloman, Craig says: "...occupied cabin 16 on E deck."

Putting Craig's either D-14 or D-16 together, with Ben's info, we can conclude that Charles and R. Norris Williams were probably in D-14.

Craig says: "Mr and Mrs Wick were in C5."

There may be other new numbers.

Regards,
Lester

Mar 20, 2000
I agree with Ben that Robert Daniel was on A-Deck. Edith Russell, even from some of her earliest accounts, mentions Daniel, at least once by name, as having occupied a stateroom "around the corner" from hers.

Also Helen Churchill Candee appears to have been booked into an A-Deck cabin, according to later accounts (one of them admittedly apocryphal).

A great deal of reliable research is going on in the area of cabin assignments. Apart from Ben's work (always high calibre), there is Daniel Klistorner's research into a number of passengers, including Mabel Francatelli whom he places (convincingly to me) in a cabin other than that attributed her in the Cave List.

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Randy,

Thank you for the added "around the corner" info on Robert Daniel and Edith Russell.

Re Mrs Candee I have been given to understand that she said something along the lines of her room being on the same deck as the lounge; where they took coffee after dinner. - Pellegrino left out the added words. - So D-deck is more likely, with Mrs Candee's comment being to the Reception Room.

In passing I noted Craig had E-35 for Mabel Francatelli. - Given that E-36 [the Cave List number] is unlikely as Master Spedden and his nurse were in that room; allowing for a typo another possibility is E-26.

Mar 20, 2000
Hi, Lester:

Regarding Edith Russell's mention of Robert Daniel. She not only recalled him by name in one early press story (pre-1930s) but in a later one added the interesting tidbit that he "was a young man whom I had met at Cannes."

Helen Candee's remark about being berthed on the same deck as the lounge (in the Pellegrino-edited story) squares with a later story (and one that is less in dispute) in which she claims at one point in the voyage to have "passed an hour or two in the reading room before retiring to my stateroom, just down the passage." So, she seems to have been on A-Deck.

As to Craig Stringer's work, it's stellar and he deserves much praise for his commitment to a top-notch project. I'm not remembering the number of the cabin which Daniel told me "Miss Franks" was in but I think you're right about E-26.

Randy

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Randy,

Thank you for the added informations.
I guess that Mrs Candee's account in Gracie that she saw Mr Kent in the companionway between Decks A and B [which seems to place her room as being on a deck below A-deck.]; could be understood as to between the Boat Deck and A-deck?
Based on what you have it seems clear that her room was on A-deck. - Thank you for that.

Regards,
Lester

Aug 20, 2000
Hello All,
I cannot take the credit for all the cabin assignments noted on my CD. Praise must go to Daniel Klistorner, he is ever more the expert in that area than me, and I very grateful that he has shared his thoughts with me.
Regards
Craig

Dec 7, 2000
All,

Sorry for the very late arrival guys, I hope I can contribute a little bit to this discussion.

Craig, you may be more aware of the exact words, but regarding Cadee's cabin, she does say that her cabin was on the same deck as the lounge where they sat after dinner. Does it mention her listening to music there as well? I think I read that bit before, and my impression was (although she was vague) is that she was on D deck. A few of the passengers called the reception room the "Lounge". If Candee listened to music in this Lounge then it must be the D deck reception room since there was no music in the A deck Lounge.

As for Francatelli's cabin, she said it was near the hole in the floor -- the same hole that Margaret Brown saw (for those who read my article - also see the diagram there) -- which leaves no other cabin but E26 for Francatelli, which was obviously misprinted on the Cave list.

This leaves E34/36/40 for the Spedden party, E40 being for the maid (Wislon).

Also, Miss Maioni was on E deck, apparently fairly close to the stairs that lead down to the squash court. I think Craig and I hypothesized that she was in E11.

Furthermore, there seems to be a pattern of the maids being in the inner cabins, so it is quite possible that Miss Kreuchen was in E14, since she did say she was in a forward E deck cabin.

In a letter, Ramon Artaganeytia said his cabin was on deck B.

Cassebeer had a starboard D deck cabin with a porthole.

Didn't one of George Wright's friends say that he was in a single berth E deck cabin?

The complimentary tickets such as Reuchlin, Parr and Chisholm may very well have ended up in some of the nice B or C deck cabins, courtesy of WSL.

Since I'm giving up on Titanic, I might as well publish my analysis of the Cave list, which delves further into cabins and accuracy/inaccuracy of the list. Now I have to find someone who's willing to read through 8pgs of 11pt text! :)

Regards,

Daniel.

Jul 11, 2001
>>Since I'm giving up on Titanic,<<

NO! Say it isn't so! I will miss your presence here on the board as well as the few corespondence we've had via snail mail. Don't make me travel down under to track you down! Besides, once the Titanic gets under your skin it is hard to get it off of your mind for long. And you my friend are a World Class historian in my view.

Sincerely,
David Smith
Hartford, Connecticut. USA

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
"Since I'm giving up on Titanic"

Now THIS is a tremendous loss! Daniel, you have done SO much for so many - myself included - that I truly hope that this admission is only an intermission and that later on you can, in your own time and pace, pick up the torch again, which lighted so many paths and shed light on so many clues.

Daniel, we hardly knew ye.

An ardent fan and friend,
Cook

Dec 7, 2000
All,

I tried not to dwell on it and say it quickly, but a few of you picked up on it. Thank you so much for your comments here and privately. I guess the decision has been made and still stands. I have tremendously enjoyed researching Titanic for the past - I guess - 7 years, and I have met (mostly via the net) so many wonderful people!

It's true, once Titanic gets under your skin, you can never get rid of it, and I don't intend to. I will still maintain a very mild interest in the ships and may pop in occasionally.

Regards,

Daniel.

Mar 20, 2000
"...It's true, once Titanic gets under your skin, you can never get rid of it, and I don't intend to..."

That's the spirit. Because I was already contemplating safari gear for a trip to Oz to hunt you down.

Jul 11, 2001
Daniel, I noticed you are at post number 997. 3 more to retire at 1000 !! Even if your last three posts are, 1:going 2: going and 3: Gone.

Come back real soon ya hear!

David
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.