Fisherman's Wharf Fire: 2 ships saved

Hats off to the fire fighters. The SS Jeremiah O’Brien and the USS Pamanito were saved from fire when Fishermans Wharf in S.F. caught on fire.They are both WW2 museum ships now and are worth a visit if your interested in that topic. A liberty ship and sub. Anyway glad they were able to save them.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Bo Bowman

Steven, thanks for the article. I was unaware of the incident. There several other relic ships in the vicinity - Balclutha used to be berthed there, but she may be at Hyde Street Pier now. I was born and raised in SF a long time ago (fifth generation), it was a great workingman's town in the 1950s and 60s. Was a Sea Scout, sailing on whaleboats in Aquatic Park, and used to work in a chandler's shop on Hyde Street. Won't go within 500 miles of the place now, but that's a topic for another website. Thanks for the good news.

My ship was home ported there in the 1970's early 80's. I don't remember any museum ships when I was there but to be honest living on a ship at the time I probably wasn't interested in seeing other ships. :p But at the time I thought San Fransisco and the bay area was a really nice place. I liked my time there. I recently had a very long holdover at the airport. Decided to go to the wharf and get some chowder in a sourdough bowl like the old days. Never made it. When I got downtown to catch a trolley I ended up turning around and going back to the airport. Couldn't believe what I was seeing and what had happened to the place. Sad. Someday I would like to see the liberty ship there. Glad it was saved.

Bo Bowman

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, Steven. I was on a carrier out of Alameda from 71 to 73. Spent more time in the Gulf of Tonkin than Cali during that time. Now I'm in NW Wyoming, having left California in '86. Won't even visit SF if you paid me to. I share your joy that none of the museum ships in the Fisherman's Wharf area were threatened.

Yes I was glad they were able to save them. Fine ships. I left there in 1980. Only been back a few times to the coast since then. Used to fly into a lot of the smaller airports in the western deserts of Cal. A lot different than the coast. I've had a lot of good trips to Wyoming but never made it to the Yellowstone area. Always around the Afton-Kimmerer area. I missed Nam by a few years. Enlisted in 75 when I was 17 but by then it was over except for rescue missions. Too bad what happened to S.F. Architecturally wise it was a very nice city.