Status
Not open for further replies.

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
we all know the whereabouts and some of us are lucky enough to have fixtures and fittings from the Olympic and the Mauretania. How much was removed from the Aquitainia and where did it go? So little seems to come onto the market or is mentioned in books.

Jan 4, 2005
Before the Aquitania was scrapped in 1951, her fittings and furnishings were auctioned off in England by Hampton & Sons Ltd on January 9th, 1950. Mostly everything then passed into private hands - but most of her oak paneling and fittings from the Elizabethan Grill are installed in the Elizabethan Lounge of the Parkway Hotel in Sandown, Isle of Wright, England.

One man by the name of Mr. Bill Childerstone owned a company in Southampton which serviced the great liners, including the Aquitania. During his years, he amounted a vast collection of items and after his death, part of his collection was auctioned off in England, which allowed the exchange of some Aquitania fittings. From this auction came numerous wood carvings - including the one I currently own. It is believed to be from the Second Class Gentlemen's Smoking Lounge onboard the great ship. Don't let the photos fool you, it is a large carved oak capital stretching 18.5" and weighing in around 17 lbs or so. I have another picture of it posted on my webpage as well. Hope this answers some of your question.

Regards,
Eddie Petruskevich
http://westphalia101.tripod.com

93650.jpg

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
I believe wood fixtures from the Aquitania was up on Ebay before some time ago - but the price was just not right!

Status
Not open for further replies.