Flight 901 and my new book

Mila

Feb 19, 2019
A few months ago I watched a documentary about crash of Air New Zealand sightseeing flight into Mount Erebus, in Antarctica. All passengers and crew were killed on impact.
There were two investigations. One was done by a professional, another was done by a judge who had no prior experience in this kind of things. Both investigations concluded there was polar whiteout present, but the first one concluded the crash was due to a pilot error, while the second one blamed only polar whiteout. Polar whiteout is an atmospheric optics phenomenon and occurs due to multiple reflections between snow and the overcast sky. One could see black objects a few km away, but white objects cannot be seen a few feet away. I read weather reports, took a loo at the passengers pictures that survived the impact and I believe there was no polar whiteout there. So I wrote an article,but one Journal I submitted it to said it was too controversial and rejected it and another said it was outside their scope. I ended up sending it to GRIN, which publishes such things for free.
So here it is:

Go to www.grin.com/document/459457 to find an automatically generated preview.
Click on the cover to have a look at a preview with the original format.

IMO the article is interesting, but I believe the price they are selling it for is way too much. I had absolutely nothing to do with pricing. It was my first ever try.

Here is the NET forum with lots of info Controversial Investigation - General Discussion - Erebus plane crash disaster story. Air New Zealand flight TE901 crashed at Mt Erebus Antarctica 28 November 1979 but I do not believe it is active now.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2005
Awhile back I was looking up stuff and watching video's on Mt Erebus because I was interested in the volcano. Volcanos are an interest of mine. The stuff I was looking at might have had a sentence or 2 about the plane crash and I didn't give it much notice. After reading your post I went back and looked up more on the disaster. Wow...what a screw up with the investigations and airline. I'm sure your aware of it already but theres a lot of video's on Youtube about this. Later. Thanks!

Mila

Feb 19, 2019
Awhile back I was looking up stuff and watching video's on Mt Erebus because I was interested in the volcano. Volcanos are an interest of mine. The stuff I was looking at might have had a sentence or 2 about the plane crash and I didn't give it much notice. After reading your post I went back and looked up more on the disaster. Wow...what a screw up with the investigations and airline. I'm sure your aware of it already but theres a lot of video's on Youtube about this. Later. Thanks!
Thanks. How strange you said you are interested in volcanos. I am too. A few weeks ago I put a video about eruption of Kilauea that I filmed over last 2 years on YouTube and on this very time I am writing an article about 2018 LERZ eruption.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Really cool video. Thanks. I have always been facinated by volcanos. I have visted many over the years but my timing has been not so good. I was in the process of looking up airline tickets to go see Kilauea when she was really going last fall. Unfortunanly at that time my mom broke her hip so I had to stay and take care of her till she got better and kicked me out..LOL. My last time in Sicily I missed Mt Etna erupting by about a week...I was like "really" again?

Reactions: 1 user

Mila

Feb 19, 2019
Thank you. I met people in Hawaii who moved there in order not to miss an eruption. Sometimes the most spectacular ones last only a few hours.