Floating debris

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
More little nuggets from Lloyd's List:

On April 20th, the Portsmouth was at 41 48N, 49 20 W and "passed through quantity of wreckage, apprently not long in the water; cabin fittings and white painted woodwork and teak, one cabin sofa, upholstered and one lifebelt, white, hardly discoloured. Dense fog at time"

April 22nd, liner Cestrian, at 41 N, 49 12 W to 41 N, 49 34 W, "passed deck fittings, chairs, beddings and other wreckage from Titanic"

German bank (?) steamer Clio reported on May 6th, at 41 25N, 41 43 W (NB: I may have transcribed these numbers incorrectly - the writing is difficult to read in places!): "saw an iceberg which the captain thinks is the same that sank the Titanic. It was 130 feet high and bore appearances of having been run into, one end being broken. It was surrounded by a steamer's saloon fittings of white painted wood and mahogany, plush cushions, deck chairs, fancy handbags and innumerable small pieces of wreckage. The captain does not report having seen any bodes."

April 25th, the German ship Graf Waldersee from Hamburg via Halifax reported, between positions 41 48N, 47 10 W to 41 51N, 49 52W "passed 8 icebergs; also in about same position, passed a quantity of wreckage including life buoys, chairs and pieces of wood believed from sunken Titanic"

April 27th- the Sagamore from Liverpool to Boston, in 41 21N, 49 36W, saw "two dead bodies with life belts on, several deck chairs, racks etc., also a quantity of painted woodwork"

- and then theres the possible report of Collapsible B, in another thread.

Best wishes

Paul

Magnus Lundin

Jul 6, 2004
I also remember reading that a large section of the bridge was seen floating around. I don't recall where I read it, it could have been in either 'Discovery' by Ballard or the Swedish book 'Titanic' by Clas-Göran Wetterholm (who participated in some of RMS Titanic Inc's expeditions). Does someone else know more about it?

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I'll have to check, Paul, but it's interesting that the Portsmouth saw a 'cabin sofa' - I seem to recall Lowe mentioning something similar in one of his affidavits, when he discussed the debris he saw.

sally1976

Apr 23, 2012
liverpool uk
Hi paul you stated in this post that the sagamore from liverpool found 2 remaining bodies from titanic,I'm just wondering wether you have any idea of who they were ?? I have tried to look this up but not having any luck .Many thanks x

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
Interesting that they did not make an attempt to recover the corpses. I suppose the stopping of a ship and taking time to do so would have not been warranted by company schedules at the time.

Reactions: 1 user