Floating Palaces

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Does anyone remember that long documentary "Floating Palaces" that aired on A&E in 1996 (wow i cant believe its been that long ago! wow indeed!) This has to be one of the finest documentaries on the grand old ocean liners that I have ever seen. Anyone else remember this?

Found it on Amazon, I may have to get a copy, these two old VHS tapes of mine are getting quite old!

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Steve,

I've haven't watched the documentary myself, but I did see the videos in a bookstore some time ago and last time I checked, the THS was selling it.

One of these days, I will have to get around to purchasing the box set.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Hey Jason!
I would def. buy a copy if you ever get around to it, I promise that its worth its weight in gold. The hundreds of photographs and old film footage makes this a must-have for any ocean liner historian. The first part that focuses on the early days of the steam is rather informative, yet tends to get dull and boring. But the rest is like a documentary version of "The Only Way to Cross" (which IMO is a must have for any ship researcher).
Ive actually ordered a copy today and await to see it in detail once more. Too bad its not offered on DVD, oh well I can dumb the damn thing out onto a DVD-ram disc.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hey Steve!

From the write up that I read on the box and from what you're saying, it sounds like it's money well spent. I have a copy of The Only Way to Cross and I agree it is a book that people such as us should own.

I look forward to purchasing a copy as soon as I can.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
There was a great Documentry that Aired on ABC here in Australia called "The Liners" and it was also a 4 part series.........Is Floating Palaces the same documentry but with a different name?

K

Kyle Johnstone

I've had the Floating Palaces box set for some time.
Every now and then I spend a Saturday afternoon watching it all over again.

I think it is absolutely a must-have for any liner afficianado. It is visually stunning and the voice-over narration is also very well done.