Floor in First class dining room

Sep 1, 2004
Have been in first class dinning saloon carpet? I read it in a book and it was also in Cameron's fil but I heard somewhere, there was a tile. Or was there linoleum? And what about lounge?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I recall that the lounge had carpet, but the dining saloon most definately had tile. There were some very practical reasons for that. Carpet tends to hold on to whatever stains it from spilled food and drink, to food and drink that's heaved up as a result of seasickness.

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Vitezslav,

There is also solid proof that Titanic's Dining saloon was tiled as there have been tiles that have been recovered from the wrecksite that match period photographs of Titanic's sistership, the Olympic.They both had the same patterns, as the interior fittings on both ships were very similar to each other.

Nigel

Sep 1, 2004
Thank you very much, Nigel. I have also seen the recovered tiles, but in the Cameron's movie was a carpet and I read about carpet in a book. "There was a dimensional, thick and beautiful coloured carpet". It's my own translation, the book is from a czech author.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>but in the Cameron's movie was a carpet and I read about carpet in a book...<<

Unfortunately, while movies make for fine entertainment, it's wise to remember that they tend not to relate history as it actually was. A Night To Remember has an account by a steward who claims to have seen carpet, but actual examination of the ship has shown this recollection to be in error.