Footage of the Big Piece

Alex Clogston

Mar 20, 2008
How available is footage of the raising of the Big Piece? I believe the documentary "Titanic: The Investigation Begins" features some footage of the failed 1996 attempt to raise the hull section. Does "Answers From the Abyss" feature any footage of the actual raising? Is there any footage anywhere?

Nov 26, 2005
Alex, the only program that I know of about this was an hour-long NBC Special program released in 1998 that featured the successful mission. It was called 'Raising the Titanic'. I've been meaning to contact NBC and ask them if I can get a copy because as far as I know it was never marketed. I'm still very surprised that Discovery Channel never followed up 'The Investigation Begins' with a documentary the successful recovery of the the Big Piece.

Nov 26, 2005
You are quite welcome, Alex.

So far I haven't received a reply from NBC's customer service department but I'll try again. Oh, and just so you know, the program was an hour-long NBC Dateline exclusive with Stone Phillips. Sometimes the more specific you get when asking companies about these programs, the better answer you get.

I just happened to think...James Cameron's Titanic Explorer CD-Rom also has a bit of the raising of the big piece...if you happen to have that CD-Rom. I checked Youtube and there's nothing there either.