For 97 Titanic fansAnalyzing Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matthew Sims

The character of Rose was so well devoloped to me, and Kate Winslett acted her out so well, i wanted to get a sense of what others thought in her portrayal.I think the most powerful scene to me, was her decision to break with what she knew. This being the scene were her mother was sitting talking about bridesmaids dresses and so on. We see her suddenly start to drift to the eyes of the child sitting there, and Ms Winslett did one of the better pure acting jobs ive ever seen without saying a word..In those few second,s the perception i got was, a girl who was reliving her childhood through that little girls eyes. And as you look at her gaze, getting lost deeper by the second as the gaze grew deeper, the memories stronger, you couldnt help but wonder what pain was going through her mind. So much of Rose, so much of what i see of her in this film, it makes me winder, just what was her childhood like? and the burning question in my mind, the unknown factor, is what role did her father play in her life? There are so many questions...We hear her talk in the start about how Titanic to her was a slave ship taking her back to America in chains. OK, did we not hear at some point her talking about attentind private schools in Europe? and she said this like these were some of thefew happy times she had. We hear her mother talking of welath being gone. Well why was it gone? At what point did the father leave, and under what circumstances? At what age did he leave them. Something, although it was never confirmed, suggests thathe left them a great deal of wealth. IF this is true, does this mean Ruth was guilty of inordinate spending and blew the entire fortune, sending Rose to private schools while she galavanted through Europe? im rambling here, but im just scratching the surface of the many many thoughts i have. Im not in favor of fan fic, for as i beleive the only ones that can make Roses fate are her creators..But..I admit in the odd sense, i would be in big time favor of a prequel, to see how Rose arrived at this juncture of her life...The ramblings of a fan i guess..Ok people, shoot me down for all your worth lol

Yeah, well I think the brat was self-serving, immature, ungrateful, spoiled, arrogant, rebellious and didn't have a mind of her own (thus led easily astray by those around her she found stronger than she to rebel against society). And, if she hadn't been so stubborn and controlling, and stayed in the lifeboat as she was told, Jack Dawson would have been on that piece of paneling instead of her and would have survived. (That is, in the world of fiction.) So I hold her responsible for his death!

All the best,
Kyrila

J

Jan Kite

Hi Karila. Rose was just as James Cameron wanted her. and my dear girl, would you have left your beloved on board and boarded a lifeboat? I think not.Regards Jan BTS

Speaking as an actor, I think both Kate & Leo could have benefited from a few more hours with their acting coach. IMHO, the sets were beautiful, the costumes were exceptional, the effects were amazing, but I didn't believe Rose or Jack as who they were for one second! (and both have turned in wonderful performances in other films. . . ) The characters were 1 dimensionally drawn and 2 dimensionally portrayed. And as far as that wonderful scene with the child, I have one thing to say: editing can make almost any scene look "powerful" and I know this from personal weak acting that ended up looking award worthy with the help of a good editor!

Now don't get me wrong, I love this movie, but I don't think the accolades belong with either the acting or the writing.

And I believe Sister Kyrila was playing devil's advocate since as we all know this was fiction, fiction, fiction. For real love stories, true devotion, and selflessness just look to the real lovers on board: the Marvins, the Strauss' and many others!

And finally, was anyone else bugged by the tattoo on Kate's arm during the jump scene?! No Anglo lady of breeding would have had a tattoo on her arm in 1912! Eeeek, where was that fantastic editor that day??!

With much good humor. . .
~Kate

Personally, I would have boarded the lifeboat and trusted my beloved to his own survival instincts. My response was tongue in cheek, and I'm sorry you took it the wrong way.
I'm an actress also, twelve years on stage. Sure, Cameron was going for a certain angle. Every director has an agenda, and his was to make the rich look bad and the poor look good. Making "Rose" seem like the victimized debutante of the society elite was part of fulfilling that angle. I agree with what Kate said about the acting and the writing (especially the writing!), but don't stop with Winslet and DiCaprio. LOL!
Oh, and Kate, I thought that was a tattoo also, but upon closer inspection, it appears to be some beading that came loose from the lace.

All the best,
Kyrila

K

Karen Sweigart

There is one scene in particular that makes me really dislike Rose. At the end when Rose and Jack have made their to the top rail of the ship where they first met, there is a young woman who I assume was probably third class standing next them. Rose gives her such a down-her-nose, you-piece-of-dirt look that bothers me every time I watch "Titanic". Now I don't know if I read the look wrong, or if Kate got the look wrong, but I notice it every time. Anyone know the scene I mean?

Oh, yes. The pretty blonde girl that we see waving to friends and family on the pier as the ship leaves Southampton. And the next we see her, Miss Rose stares at her like, "Who are you to intrude upon my time with Jack with your fear?" And there is absolutely no response from Miss Rose when the poor girl falls to her doom. She just continues her conversation with Jack as if nothing happened.

Kyrila

Again I say, it was all about editing. That look may not even have been a character choice of Winslet's, but just a "clever" choice the editor (Cameron) decided upon.

C

Courtney Scully

I think that Rose and her mom said that the dad died...
I dunno I love the movie but when it gets down to it I would have gone with my beloved too..or dress him up as a girl and put him in a life boat.

Hello all-

Well, I guess I'll give my little "brush off the bloom" of our Rose!

Actually, I will try to be diplomatic here, for it seems to me that the character of Rose reminds me an awful lot of Scarlet O in GWTW...but that's another conversation.

The stern scene, before the plunge, the blonde I always thought was Fabrizio's (Jack's roomie) dance partner (my arm here? OK?). Rose might have have reconised her from the "3rd class party", and given a nod of "hey! I remember you!" kind of thing.

Yes, Rose's dad died. The corset scene: "...good name and a legacy of bad debts". When: probably a little before the introduction to Cal. Rose still would have been "introduced to society"- a debutaunte (average age around 18). If we are to believe that the Bukaters are of "Old Money" ie: established wealth, then Cal, with his fortune made in industry- a "new" money concept in 1912- would have found a marriage with the "old" a perfect reason to validate his own standing, and move in circles that otherwise he would have been not just tolerated, but accepted.

As far as Rose's up-bringing, one could imagine a typical late Victorian (1894/5 birth date) early Edwardian childhood. Probably a Nanny, then possibly a Governess was a more influential effect on Rose than her Mother or mysterious Father. She would not have been that worldly- even if her parents took her (I assume she was an only child) on trips, she would have been kept in private rooms most of the time. The "seen and not heard" rule of child-rearing was still enforced then.

I mention this because my own issue with the character is this rebellious nature we are supposed to believe was simmering within Rose. Not to say she didn't have problems adjusting to the expectations thrown at her- who didn't growing up?!- it is just that children were raised to "please" their family; if Mom want's me to do (fill in the blank) then I guess I have to... As a whole, in spite of class, impulsiveness was simply not tolerated, especially of girls. A tough concept to grasp, in our post '60's generation, but that was the reality for most of our Grandparent's- Great-grandparent's time. For a small example; the paintings Rose collected. "Something" Picasso at this time was an underground renegade, showing his work in the most "a LADY dare not tread" places. How would Rose, with her entourage, been exposed to this? Picasso, Braque, Matisse etc. did show their work- a gallery opening- in the U.S. in 1913 under the most controversial circumstances. Although Rose's beautiful Degas was more well known, just not "mainstream".

I guess I couldn't help but think that Rose was a "poseur" of sorts. Not that I hate her for that, just there were too many incongruities with her shelterd life, and her knowledge of things that only a true Bohemian free spirit would have been exposed to. I mean, other than the absence of hats (which was innapropriate even by the most artsy set) even her clothes were quite conventional. Though I did like her dressing gown with the beads she twirled! No Mother Hubbard there!

Winslet is great, I admit. I first saw her in the film "Heavenly Creatures" and I believe her acting abilities were not utilised in "Titanic". But the film not about her, really...it was the ship that was the star, and that is how I'll always think of it.

Well, there's my crackpot psycho-analysis of a fictional person. I'll write out the prescription and send her on her way!
happy.gif

Yours-
Kris

I found it interesting that with all the drink she consumed at the party, she wasn't in the least bit woozy at any point after. I mean, it's not like she would have had a high alcohol tolerance.

Then again, as someone who's never drank before, I don't know too much about tolerance levels.

Josh.

Hi Josh - I am an expert in alcohol tolerance and the effects of alcohol (having done extensive field-research), and at the rate she was drinking she would not have been having a row with Cal the next morning looking all nice and fresh, but she would have woke up in Jack's bunk with a storming hangover and thinking "How the hell did I end up here?". This would also fit nicely with the depiction of Rose as someone with a 1997 mentality hopelessly adrift in 1912.
proud.gif

Just to add a little to Kris' observation of Edwardian Society's disdain for artists now accepted as groundbreaking geniuses, the premiere of Stravinsky's seminal "Rite of Spring" in 1913 was greeted with riots in the streets of Paris and no doubt much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Now it is one of the most popular pieces in the classical repertoire. Ho-hum.

Regards

Sam

I concur with Sam's field-research findings. That foreign brew ain't no Miller Lite. . . one pint would have put our, presumably tea-tottling Rose, in knee-walking, commode hugging land before ever ending up in Jack's bunk (a likely endling place, however I see her more as the arm-crooked-around-Fabrizzio's-neck-saying-"you're the greatest, man!"-type just before passing out on the cool tiles of the bathroom floor)
Okay, so I've done a bit of reasearch of my own!
wink.gif

-kate.

Status
Not open for further replies.