Forward A- and B-Deck promenade accessibility

GreatLakesGuy

May 22, 2016
Hello all,

My question is regards to the promenades on the forward end of A-Deck and B-Deck—specifically, these sections here:
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 7.11.19 PM.png

Looking at the deck plans for A-Deck, there is a bulkhead with a door (which I've boxed in red) on each side of the ship that separates this section of the promenade deck from the rest:
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 7.14.41 PM.png

Meanwhile, on the B-Deck promenade below, there is a stairway leading down to the forward well deck (gated to keep third class passengers down there) and a stairway on each side of the ship that leads up to the officer's promenade on the Boat Deck. Again, I've boxed these in red:
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 7.34.42 PM.png

Simply put, with these obstructions in place, would passengers have been allowed to take a stroll on either of these two forward promenades and peer out at the ocean ahead of them? Or were they closed off for crew access only?

GreatLakesGuy

May 22, 2016
What barriers, if any, would have prevented passengers on the B-Deck promenade from ascending one of the side stairways to the officer's promenade on the Boat Deck?

On A-Deck, there are sliding doors that close off the stairways from the rest of the promenade, but on B-Deck, there appears to be nothing of the sort that would stop a curious passenger from wandering up there.

Last edited:

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Simply put, with these obstructions in place, would passengers have been allowed to take a stroll on either of these two forward promenades and peer out at the ocean ahead of them? Or were they closed off for crew access only?
I thought those were primarily to block much of the wind, to basically keep the enclosed A-deck promenade from becoming a wind tunnel.

I'm not sure what there might have been in those side stairways to keep someone from B-deck from walking up to the officer's promenade on the Boat Deck. Maybe they just had a sign saying something like "no passengers beyond this point" and they figured first class passengers were dignified enough to obey it.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
There were notices by the stairway that read “For Use of Crew Only”. Back then people were more likely to heed such notices.