Found drawing of the orginal Olympic Class Plan the 3 funnel version

Apr 22, 2012
Hello Nigel,

Thanks for posting this. I also noticed that the forecastle area looks different. I still think the liner looks graceful, but I can see where Pirrie figured they would look even more graceful with four funnels.

-B.W.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Nigel

What a fantastic find! Is there any more info on this design?

The mast arrangement seems a bit weird and cluttered, none of them seem to be the same height and while her lines are graceful, I agree with Brandon...thank God for dummy funnels!

It also seems as if the superstructure is shifted back to give less of a poop deck and more of a focsle.

Thanks again Nigel!

Regards

Sam

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I think it's not your server but his site. I can't find either drawing of Olympic via his homepage. Go to http://philippe.melia.free.fr/ and see if you can do better then I can.

There's some good stuff on the site if you speak French, including an explanation of what's wrong with Nomadic.

I wonder what the date of the Olympic drawing is. There's nothing to show that it's not a modern artist's impression of Pirrie's early ideas.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Hello All,
I am new to the board and love it. I would hae to say that the "Olympic" in the drawing appears to resemble one of the "Big 4" (with three stacks instead of two) more than the Olympic. The aft deck houses are uncannily Adriatic's. The only thing Olympic Class about her is the bridge area. I would like to see the elevation plan, though. I would appriciate it if someone could email it to me if they can bring it up. Thank you.
Regards,
David