Found new titanic artifact from survivor

Nov 16, 2010
I am a new member of this forum and wish to find out if any of the survivors (male) dressed as women to facilitate entrance into any of the life boats? Who were they? I have an artifact one of these men brought with him from the ship before sinking. I am currently researching this item. I am x-submariner USSBN 630(blue and gold). Served as a medical officer and loved it; then at NTS Keyport WN. Can you help me? Thank you-- I have two e-mails--conaye@hotmaiol.com and tjorme@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Who were they?<<

That's a very common legend but the veracity of that is uncertain. There is some evidence that somebody used a womans shawl but whether or not there was an intent to decieve or somebody was trying to stay warm is anybody's guess.

It might help if you could tell us what this artifact is as somebody might recognize it. If you post a photo, by careful that you put some kind of identifying mark on it since internet piracy is not something we're immune to.

[NOTE: This discussion was moved here from the Introductions folder]

A

aly jones

Well,I am alyse just joined up.I've always had a strong passion for titanic history.though,I never seem to have much time to devote to its study as much as id like to. I thought I would join up here (after browsing this site for than three years) so that I can hopefully learn much more than I had learned already.I have a huge appetite to learn as much as much titanic history as an hopefully make some friends along the way. This site as a reputation of @ gold mine,so I was told. By the way,I am originally from manchester sheffield uk. Greets.

A boy in a straw hat and his furious mother comes to my mind.
What gives me a tear in my eyes,frank goldsmith's ashes were cast into the atlantic over titanic's graveyard. Only 9 years old at the time,I had often thought, franky & his mother emily were the two, the boy in a straw hat & his furious mother. No evidence has been put forward on who the mother & son really were.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Aly, the boy in a straw hat and his furious mother story is probably that of Lucille Carter's son.

During the sinking, Arthur Ryerson was told, by Charles Lightoller, that his son would not be able to get in to a lifeboat.
Mr. Ryerson persisted, and stated that his son was 13 years old, and "He goes with his mother!!"

Lightoller backed down, and allowed the Ryerson boy to get in, but then said "No more boys!!", to which Ms. Carter, supposedly, placed her straw hat upon her son, so as to make sure nobody would say anything.