Four in a nest?

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Well in the pic that young master Cam posted there doesn't seem to be very many people on the dock waving goodbye like a ship leaving would have. Looks like just another work day on the docks.
Oh here is a lot of incongruencies in these photos, Stephen, but I'm interested in the Crow's nest "first you see them then you don't" bit.
As to why the men were in the nest , Sam et al gave a perfectly feasible explanation.
What I would now like to know is, when was it that they took down the rear screen? It was only necessary during hours of darkness to protect the lookout's night vision and would be a downright impediment and defeat the purpose of multiple men in the nest in pilotage waters during day light hours.

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Oh here is a lot of incongruencies in these photos, Stephen, but I'm interested in the Crow's nest "first you see them then you don't" bit.
As to why the men were in the nest , Sam et al gave a perfectly feasible explanation.
What I would now like to know is, when was it that they took down the rear screen? It was only necessary during hours of darkness to protect the lookout's night vision and would be a downright impediment and defeat the purpose of multiple men in the nest in pilotage waters during day light hours.
Why would they need a screen in daylight, when they can see way better and farther than they could in the night?

Nov 14, 2005
I'll try to answer both Jim's and Cams question at the same time. This is guessing of course but its kinda of based I what I did on my ship. It could be as simple as they were just lookie loos. Maybe they let some use the nest to see Southampton. I say that because sometimes us mag rats would go up on the super structure to watch flight op's. We had no official buisness up there but they let us do it anyway. I've still got a lot of good pics from up there. As for the screen I haven't got a clue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Why would they need a screen in daylight, when they can see way better and farther than they could in the night?
That is a sensible question,Cam. It was not a weather screen as described by a witness, it had two purposes. It was to preserve nght vision and to prevent distraction of the lookouts at night. A weatther cloth or screen was a portable length of duck canvas wth eyeletswhich was designed to keep out the weather. I made enough of them when I was your age to know what I'm talking about. Whats more. I could still make one if I had a palm and sail needle. ;)

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
I'm sure you will.
How appropriate - a negative reply to negative nest contents. So why don't you simply say you don't know?

I will delve into your vast treasure trove of knowledge. Can you tell me what ship this is. It is purported to have been shortly after Titanic departed and shortly before the men in the nest said "stuff-it, let's all go below and play cards"
1603295063906.png

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
How appropriate - a negative reply to negative nest contents. So why don't you simply say you don't know?

I will delve into your vast treasure trove of knowledge. Can you tell me what ship this is. It is purported to have been shortly after Titanic departed and shortly before the men in the nest said "stuff-it, let's all go below and play cards"
View attachment 72694
that's the Olympic, which was edited to look like the Titanic in this picture, for a book I think
1603300878236.png

What's going on with Olympic's Rudder? Or should I say "Titanic's" rudder?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Jim, isn't this Titanic leaving Belfast? Seems she's leaving in the Daytime.
Leaving for her sea trials Cam. All other photos which show her "leaving" Belfast are from the sea trials.
There is only one photograph of her which was taken after the sea trials when she was back at Belfast and before sailing for Southampton and that photo was heavily retouched and shows only her stern from the starboard side along the dock.

Reactions: 1 users

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
that's the Olympic, which was edited to look like the Titanic in this picture, for a book I think
View attachment 72696

What's going on with Olympic's Rudder? Or should I say "Titanic's" rudder?
Absolutely nothing Cam. It is pointing at you. Although I must admit it looks a bit peculiar. As far as I can see, her port engine is running astern and the starboard one is on slow ahead. This is classic ship handling way of turning a twin screw ship round in her own length.
However, there is also another three features in that photograph. These suggest that the following photograph is also a fake. Do you see them? Does anyone else see them?
1603310916647.png

Last edited: