Fox Studios Baja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 1998
I spent this past weekend at the new Foxploration theme park, located adjacent to Fox Studios Baja in Rosarito Beach, Mexico. I recommend visiting the park, especially to any 'Titanic' fans living in Southern California.

There is one entire building dedicated to sets from 'Titanic.' Sets include cargo spaces, third class passageway, third class cabin, third class general room, boiler room, D-Deck reception area, Palm Court, first class dining saloon, first class smoking room, a portion of the Boat Deck (including the bridge's chart room and Marconi Room), lookout's crow's nest and compass tower. An interactive portion of the tour allows you to stand on the bow of the ship (Kodak moment), stand in front of the Grand Staircase clock (another Kodak moment), and see quite a few props. I took over 100 pictures and will post them as soon as I'm able.

Outside the exhibit, Kodak moments include the stern nameplates of the ship (TITANIC LIVERPOOL) and a complete lifeboat (#14), which you can climb into. The park just recently opened, so everything there hasn't been beat to pieces yet. The lifeboat and davits (which are actual Welin davits) look brand new. An anchor and collapsible lifeboat are also there, but not to be climbed upon. You walk up the accomodation ladder (well, not up...it's lying horizontal) to the riveted side of the ship and into an accommodation hatch. The steel is so well rendered that I once leaned on what my senses told me was a steel frame, but it gave enough to remind me that it was only painted plywood.

Of particular interest to me was the Marconi Room, which for some reason wasn't on the normal tour. I asked a friendly guide for a favour and she allowed me to spend some time in the Marconi Room set alone. I corrected some discrepancies in the placement of items on the operators' desk and fixed a broken prop (the starter for the motor-generator). The first class staterooms were also not on the general tour...if I known then that I wouldn't see them later on the regular tour, I would have taken pictures when the guide showed them to me privately. Basically, it was Cal's suite and promenade.

Other props at Foxploration include X-Men, Planet of the Apes and Pearl Harbour. My kids had a blast at Xavier's School for the Gifted and in the Special Effects department. Unlike theme parks in Southern California, this one was neither crowded nor expensive. It was, however, well developed and executed, while being informal enough to allow rules to be bent a little (I couldn't imagine being allowed backstage access at Disneyland or Universal). And yes, English and the almighty US dollar was spoken everywhere.

The actual Fox Studies lot next door was empty (where the ship set was located during filming), save for a lone F-18 mockup (which was WELL done, by the way...I've spent enough time around the real ones to know). I could see a storage area that included some Titanic props...I saw a complete cargo crane, a couple of anchors and various bitts and bollards. Evidently, not EVERYTHING was destroyed or sold on eBay.

I'll post again after I've uploaded the pictures. In the meantime, I won't be available for questions, as I'm going to be on the road again for the next few days.

Parks

Dec 31, 2000
Thank you Parks and I look forward to your pictures.

Parks, did you get to go on the set of Titanic whilst they were filming???

Now why can't this couple, so hot to marry on the bow go to Foxploration and marry on the bow there???? I would think it would be much more practicle and accomadating than being in a submersible.

TTFN and thank you Parks,

Beverly

Mar 3, 1998
Addendum:

At the Fox/JVC theatre at Foxploration, they had some good footage of the construction of the 'Titanic' set. They also played a well-done short that was filmed in the style of a 1912-era film. B&W, complete with scratches, dialogue cards and erratic film speed, the film chronicled Titanic's departure from Soton. The film was made up from either outtakes or extra scenes from 'Titanic'...I had seen none of it in the movie itself or in 'Titanic Explorer.' A real treat.

The guides at the Titanic Expo were extras in the movie itself and while weak on actual Titanic history, they shared a lot of behind-the-scenes info. The guide who took me on a personal tour was one of the dead seen floating in the water. While in Andrews' stateroom (not on the tour), she asked me if there was any truth to the rumour that Thomas Andrews survived the sinking, but was paid off by Ismay to keep quiet. That was a new one on me.

Parks

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Glad to see you back Parks.

That Titanic Exhibition sounds really cool. I wish that I could go to. It must of been a truly amazing experience see Cameron's sets, just like seeing the real thing! Were most of the sets made out of wood, like was the smoking room set made out of real mahogany etc?

Regards Nigel

Jan 31, 2001
Hello Parks,

Terrific photographs! Those made my morning.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Parks, I've been to the site and that's quite an impressive collection you have there. Great job!

I hope you'll have the rest of your site up and running in the near future. I miss the tech stuff.
happy.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Diane Ostrow

May 19, 2001
Parks~
Thanks so much for sharing the WONDERFUL pictures! They are so good it was kind of like being there!
Ahoy!
Diane

Dec 31, 2000
Thank you so very much for sharing your photos and your family with us Parks, it was very enjoyable and may I say, that you have a very handsome family.

Beverly

Mar 3, 1998
Thanks for all the gracious comments, everybody. Today was a busy day...Bill Sauder and I drove up to Malibu to brief Jim Cameron and his team on various things to look for during his upcoming expedition to the wreck. Even though Cameron is up to his ears in preparations (the equipment has to be packed and shipped by this Friday), he gave us a couple of hours of spirited (and I emphasise the word "spirited") discussion. It was very obvious to me that Cameron is very much involved in Titanic, and that his interest is deeper than many give him credit for. I don't know who learned more...Cameron or me. Also present were Lew Abernathy and Bill Paxton, who will reprise their roles for the IMAX 3-D movie that Cameron is going to be shooting.

After the meeting at Earthship Productions, Bill and I drove down to the Queen Mary for a late lunch aboard with Ken Marschall and Eric Sauder. Ken is accompanying Cameron on the expedition, so that was pretty much the topic of discussion. Because of Ken and Bill's hard work, expect to learn more about the stern portion of the wreck. The visit also gave me an opportunity to catch up with some of the new exhibits on display there. All in all, a day full of ship.

I have finished the written portion of my wireless monograph and have found a publisher. A portion will be published in November, with the full monograph following next year. More info on this to come.

I've been quiet because I have been busy. The maintenance of my old website was becoming an albatross, detracting me from more serious pursuits. When I resurrect the site, it may or may not be completely different. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the kind remarks. It's been a long Titanic week, with more to come, so forgive me if I'm slow in responding to comments. If you think the pictures from Fox Studios were good, you should visit there yourself sometime!

Parks

Dec 31, 2000
I had no idea that there was going to be another dive by James Cameron. Parks, do you know what the new movie will be about??? I know, I am asking too many questions again, but thank you very much for your time.

Beverly

Mar 3, 1998
Beverly,
Cameron is leaving mid-August and spending a month or so over and on the wreck. He shooting footage for an IMAX 3D movie, and some of the actors from the original movie will act as narrators. This is to be more of a documentary, not a ficticious story. I don't believe that I can discuss the project in any more detail than that; besides, I have been exposed to only a mere fraction of what Cameron intends to cover.

Michael,
My wireless monograph is being published in two forms, both by the Antique Wireless Association. The first publication will be a summary of the wireless installation and will come out this November. The monograph will be published in full detail next year as part of the AWA's annual review. I'll provide information on where non-AWA members can get a copy when the publications come out.

Parks

Dec 31, 2000
Parks,

Thank you so very much for what information you could give me. I will very much look forward to what James will put together this time.

I would LOVE to see his dive footage from when James was there in 96. Or was it 95?? Anywho...
I think he went deeper into Titanic than anyone else ever had before.

Maybe James will be able to uncover some more answers to our questions about Titanic. That in itself will be very exciting, not to mention 3D!!!
Wow! It will be like really being there.
It will take my breath away I am sure and also probably bring to mind again the tragedy of Titanic and her passengers and crew.

Do you know if he will be using the Keldysh again?

Needless to say, thank you and best wishes with the Monograph. I don't know much about wireless, but I am sure I will learn.

Beverly

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Parks wrote: "He (is) shooting footage for an IMAX 3D movie...."

If the 3D film Cameron gets is anything like the 3D imagery taken on the 1995 Britannic expedition, we're in for a real treat. It was stunning!

Eric Sauder

A

Andrew Rogers

Thanks for sharing the photos with us Parks.
The Fox park looks good but a little far from Sydney to pop over for the weekend!!
Shame that James Cameron couldn't count the horizontal bow rails on Titanic, even after 12 dives!
I guess he added the extra rail to stop Kate from rolling over the front too early in the movie!

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.