Fragments of clothing found

Jul 12, 2008
Have any fragments of clothing ever been found near the Titanic? Clothing has most likely disappeared after 96 years, but I've seen pictures of postcards and letters that have been found so I thought it would be worth a chance. Also, does anyone know if the shoes and bowler hat that have been found once belonged to someone in first, second, or third class? Thanks for your help!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Most of what's been found in the debris field have been leather artifacts such as shoes. Clothing has also been found...more or less intact...but as far as I know, it was protected in a leather container such as a trunk or suitcase.

Jul 12, 2008
Thanks so much! I'm sorry for asking so much, but I was reading a thread about a doll artifact and I wanted to know more about it, but I have not been able to find any pictures of it. Is there an internet link or book that has a picture of it?

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
If I remember correctly- a shirt from Steward Broome was found put on display. I think it was found crumpled up in a ball.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
You are correct Michael. There was also a pair of grey men's suit trousers with a matching vest found intact. In addition, a men's silk bowtie, a pair of black socks, and a woman's cloth hand bag have been found intact. I believe all of these items were found inside of leather suitcases. They now tour with the RMSTI Exhibitions.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Jason
happy.gif
Hi Mike
happy.gif

if memory serves, wasn't the the stewards white jacket/shirt found quite near the the wreck in or near something?
And the doll artifact mentioned - here is a link to some info on that:

Doll Thread

Best,
Eric

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>if memory serves, wasn't the the stewards white jacket/shirt found quite near the the wreck in or near something? <<

Your memory may be serving you better then mine. I'm aware of the clothing found in the baggage, but I'm not up on what was dredged up out of the debris field.

Jun 24, 2003
The Indianapolis Museum presently has 250-artifacts on display and one case shows or reveals the gray slacks with the vest. Both items were in a remarkably preserved state. The suitcase and a Bowler hat was also in the case display.

Jan 29, 2001
One item that NAUTILE recovered from the debris field with it's manipulator arm(s) was an intact suitcase. Owing to tanning, the leather items, hence a suitcase, was lovingly preserved. I recall the excitement aboard the R.V. NADIR as a particular suitcase was recovered in 1987, the ironed and folded creases were still evident. The Las Vegas, Tropicana exhibit also displayed recovered clothing pieces. Also, bearing in mind, several clothed items were recovered from the S.S. Central America, including a brides gown. The wreck lies at approx. 8'000 off the Pacific coast. Refer to your copy of "Titanic, The Last Great Images" and you will find, seemingly intact clothing photographed in the outlaying debris field.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
I should have said, the iron and folded creases of the, then determinded, third class passenger were evident in disclosing the suitcase's contents.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA