Frances John Parkinson Jr

E

Eric S. Silvia

Hi All,

I was curious if anyone knew how Frances John Parkinson is doing. He was the son of a woodworker on the Titanic and is featured in 'Titanic: The Legend Lives On'. IMDB states he was born in 1907 and is still alive. I was just curious if anyone has seen or heard of him since.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Eric,

As far as I know, John Parkinson is doing well which is remarkable, considering his age. He is still the President of the Belfast Titanic Society, formerly called the Ulster Titanic Society which was changed earlier this year from the support of the members.

He attended the Titanic Made in Belfast event this past April in Belfast, which was being held for the second straight year.

I met him a couple of years ago in Belfast, which was an absolute pleasure. About 23 other people including myself from the THS had lunch with him. He brought his father's tools that were used on the Titanic to show us, which were great to see. We had a nice chat and he has so many stories to tell, it's incredible.

Click HERE for the BTS' website and some photos, which have John in a few of them.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason
Happy

E

Eric S. Silvia

Thanks Jason!

I was unaware that John was STILL so involved with the remembrance of the Titanic. His mind seemed so sharp several years ago when I first saw the documentary, and am so glad to see he is still doing well.

Are the tools the only ones that are in existence, in that they are the only ones around that were used on the Titanic?

Is there a particular reason why the Society changed names? I was just curious.

Thanks for the link!

Thanks So Much!

-Eric-

D

Darren Clossin

Just last month I received an autograph from him on a drawing I did of him- Was thrilled to get it- I wish he might live to see the 100th anniversary of the sinking!

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Eric,

You're very welcome.

John told us the same story that he told on the A&E documentary and it was fascinating to hear all over again, especially sitting with him right there in person! It was truly a very memorable moment.

I'm not totally sure if those tools are the only ones that exist from Titanic, but they are the only ones I'm aware of.

The Society changed it's name because the general consensus from the world wide membership was, that they should identify their link to Titanic's birthplace, which is of course Belfast.

Hi Darren,

That's great that you got his autograph. I have it as well, as he signed my copy of "Titanic: Psychic Forewarnings of a Tragedy".

Best regards,

Jason
Happy

J

James Hill

Last month he was on BBc`s "Bargain Hunt" program.The show was in Belfast and were looking about the site were Titanic was built and had a brief interview with a cheery Mr Parkinson.God Bless Him

J

James Alexander Carlisle

Sorry I haven't seen these messages earlier, I'm seeing John this evening. John celebrated his 98th birthday last month and he is looking forwarding to seeing the Titanic, Made in Belfast events during the last week in March 2005.

FYI John saw Titanic on the slipway and the day she left Belfast and he has very fond memories of both.

John Clifford

John Clifford

Just a quick note: it was noted by a gentleman from the Belfast area, on another site, that Francis John Parkinson, whose father helped build Titanic and Olympic (and who took John to see the ships when he was a little boy) is now 99 years old; his shipyard visit story is part of A&E's "Titanic: Death of a Dream/The Legend Lives On".
According to my source, Mr. Parkinson is in good spirits and is looking forward to #100, next year. I'll wager that he'll probably be here through 2012.

Many people who attended the THS Convention in 1996 had the chance to meet this wonderful gentleman; so too, I believe, did the THS Members who visited Belfast during a July 2002 Ireland trek.

To John Parkinson: Best Wishes for a Great 99th birthday celebration, and "Here's to Wishing You a GREAT #100 next year"!!

CHEERS!!!

[Moderator's note: This post, which was in a separate thread outside of this subtopic has been moved to the pre-existing one, which is discussing the same subject. JDT]

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

This just in this morning from the Belfast Titanic Society. Sad news indeed. He had just celebrated his 99th birthday in January.

"It is with the deepest regret that I have to inform you that our dear
President and good friend, John Parkinson has passed away.

John was a pleasure to be with and his life was a long and good life always
helping other people. He was so proud of the ship, his father helped build."

John had seen the Titanic on the slipway, and watched her sail down Belfast
Lough on the 2nd April 1912.

A link to Mr. Parkinson's story

http://www.belfast-titanic.com/john.html

D

Darren Clossin

Wow that's a shame! I always enjoyed seeing him on Titanic documentaries etc. Shelley- do you know what the exact date of his passing was?

J

James Alexander Carlisle

I received the phone about 11:00 am today although the actual time was not stated.

I will let you all know when I find out what arrangements are being made.

Jim Carlisle

D

David Haisman

It is indeed with great sadness that we learn of the passing of John Parkinson.
At the Belfast convention last year, my sister and I had the great pleasure of meeting John and sitting alonside of him at the Titanic dinner. He was a wonderful man with a wealth of stories to tell about Titanic.
He will be sadly missed and our condolences to those close to him.

David and Dorothy Haisman

J

James Alexander Carlisle

If anyone would like to send condolences to his family. This can be done by sending them by email to me at [email protected]
I will give them to his family

J

James Alexander Carlisle

I've just been told that John passed away this morning early 1st March 2006.

J

James Alexander Carlisle

It is with much sadness and regret that the society learned of the sudden death of our esteemed, respected and loved President John Parkinson. Our thoughts are with his family at this time. John was (and it is so hard to say was not is) the finest artefact the Belfast Titanic Society had. He served the Society and his city of Belfast very well. He was a great ambassador for Belfast and was an active member of the Society up to his last days.
John was Lord Titanic, he helped us all to see a different side to the Titanic story- the pride of the men who built her, and one of those workers was John's father. John treasured his father's joinery tools and spoke often of the great shock and horror his father suffered when the news of the Titanic disaster filtered back to Belfast, so many lives lost. John saw his father, a big hard shipyard worker, cry like a baby as the enormity of the disaster unfolded.
John was at his last Society meeting in February, meeting and greeting the society members as they assembled for their monthly meeting. John was wonderful with people, especially children, when he could hold them enthralled in the story of Titanic, just with the power of his gravely voice.John featured in many facets of life in N. Ireland over his 99 years; it will not only be the members of the Belfast Titanic Society that will miss him.