Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Mr. Francis "Frank" Parkes is pretty interesting in my opinion, been researching him lately.

He was also on the Olympic during her maiden voyage, as a Guarantee Gang member, in June 1911. In 1907 he entered the Harland and Wolff Shipyards as an apprentice plumber, and his brother George also worked at the yard

Mr. Parkes lived here, in South Belfast, on Richardson st, Number 76 (circled in red)
1619530445001.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Mr. Francis "Frank" Parkes is pretty interesting in my opinion, been researching him lately.

He was also on the Olympic during her maiden voyage, as a Guarantee Gang member, in June 1911. In 1907 he entered the Harland and Wolff Shipyards as an apprentice plumber, and his brother George also worked at the yard

Mr. Parkes lived here, in South Belfast, on Richardson st, Number 76 (circled in red)
View attachment 76422
After some research and getting some leads on a super cool Belfast forum:

here's a quick rundown, after receiving help on a lovely Belfast forum
-Mr. Parkes (the father) died in 1918 from pneumonia, only 57 years old.
-Mrs. Parkes stayed in Belfast. She had in 1912 moved to 25 Agincourt Ave, and died sometime in maybe 1931, because by 1932 someone else was living in her house, a Miss Reilly, and there's nothing else on her.

-according to ancestry.com (the Whiting Family) Violet Parkes, Frank's youngest sister (10 when he perished) ended up going to Maine, USA in April 1912, and coming back several times, and went to Glasglow, and Southampton many times as well. Seattle in 1939. She died in 1960, but is recorded in the 1965 Tyne electoral register. So may need to double check

-William Parkes, Frank's youngest brother, died in 1918, no location and reason given.

-Matthew Parkes died in 1957 in Kent

-Robert Parkes & Elizabeth Johnston had 2 children in Belfast, Elizabeth on 4-9-1912 and Dorothy Margaret 11-6-1914.

Elizabeth Parkes (shares the mother's name), the first and older sister, does not show up, so she must've moved out of Ireland

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Some more details:

Elizabeth, Robert, and Charles show up on the Whiting and Ganson trees, but there's no further info post 1911. Although, the Walker Family tree has Elizabeth married to William Cameron, but there's no further information on that.

Maybe when the 1921 census is released we'll have more information.

Here's a picture of Frank, since Encyclopedia Titanica doesn't have one

Francis Parkes.jpg

Will be back if I find more details

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for this research, Cam, it is really interesting. I have also researched some of his life and collected various documents to see if there was a family connection (I have sadly not found one). I have also always felt for his predicament - as an apprentice plumber, his work was no doubt cut out on the night of the disaster.

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Thanks so much for this research, Cam, it is really interesting. I have also researched some of his life and collected various documents to see if there was a family connection (I have sadly not found one). I have also always felt for his predicament - as an apprentice plumber, his work was no doubt cut out on the night of the disaster.
Its no problem Dan, I find Frank very interesting! And Yeah, he was most likely down below that night, working the pumps or in the Engine Room, poor guy.

I've also wondered how he managed to be an excellent Plumber, especially missing a finger. He must've been super good at his job.

what type of documents had you gathered?

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Very much along the same lines as you - housing records, 1901 and 1911 census records, passenger/crew lists, plus a photograph of his name on the Belfast memorial and a photograph of a gentleman who attended the Belfast Titanic Society in 2019 whose wife was Frank's "great great niece".
can you send the photograph of his name on the memorial?

And did the gentleman talk of his wife? Did his wife say what her great great uncles and aunts say how they took the news and how they figured it out?

Hi Cam

Here is his name on the Belfast Titanic Memorial:

Titanic memorial Belfast CU.jpeg

And here is the photograph of a gentleman who attended the Belfast Titanic Society in 2019 (taken by John McDonald) who said his wife was a 'great great niece' of Francis Parkes. I have been meaning to follow this up to see if I could make contact, however, my Titanic officers website and Facebook group have presently taken up any free time I have!

wife was great great neice of Francis Parkes (Belfast Titanic Society, John McDonald, 11-20-20...jpg

Hope it is of some help.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi Cam

Here is his name on the Belfast Titanic Memorial:

View attachment 76913

And here is the photograph of a gentleman who attended the Belfast Titanic Society in 2019 (taken by John McDonald) who said his wife was a 'great great niece' of Francis Parkes. I have been meaning to follow this up to see if I could make contact, however, my Titanic officers website and Facebook group have presently taken up any free time I have!

View attachment 76914

Hope it is of some help.
incredible, thanks Dan!!!

and take your time!