Frank and Bertram Terrell

B

BARBARA SMITH

Frank Terrell ...survived The Titanic disaster...I would like to know what he did after he returned to Southampton...he was on lifeboat 11.....Bertram was his younger brother,aged 20years who perished at sea. These were my two uncles....my name is Barbara Smith ( NEE TERRELL)

Matteo Eyre

Feb 7, 2013
Doubt this will help much but here i go
I am of the opinion that Bertram Terrell's body was found and i think it could have been body number 24
i don't know anything about Frank Terrell but will post if i find anything

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I can't offer much. Frank was ordered to make himself available as a witness at the British Inquiry and may have spent some time in London awaiting his turn, but like many others in the same position he was not called to testify. He was provided with a replacement for his lost discharge book which enabled him to continue working at sea, which he certainly did. The replacement book and some official letters concerning it and the Inquiry were recently auctioned, along with Frank's two commemorative medals which were awarded to men who served in the merchant marine during the First World War.

The auction catalogue showing these items is here (about 2/3 down the page): Auction catalogues, auction catalogs from www.pacts.co.uk

Anant

Nov 17, 2015
Hi Barbara, Frank Terrell was a distant cousin of mine too so I suppose we are family! Sadly although Frank survived the disaster he went on to serve in ww1 and was killed on 30th of June 1916. He's now buried in Baghdad. So tragic he survived this to die only a few years later. His name can be found on the Cenotaph in Southampton.

Anant

Nov 17, 2015
After considering what another poster wrote about Frank Terrell going on to receive medals in ww1 in the merchant marines I've actually come to the conclusion there were two men of the same age and name from Southampton. One was on the titanic then in the merchant marines, and one was already in the army in 1912 and died in 1916. The thing is, the latter man had his personal effects given to his father who was a James L which is the name and initial of Bertram s father. This implies to me that he was his brother and the Frank on the titanic wasn't.

Does anybody know the origin of the information that Frank was known as Wally? I ask because Bertram actually had a brother called Walter who was a ships steward. Would seem funny if Frank was his brother but he was the one known as Wally...

Hope someone could follow all that