Frank Braynard's Maritime Series

Jan 5, 2001
In Volume 1 of his Great Ocean Liners series, published around 1990, Frank Braynard goes on to mention that in the future he intends to write books on the Rex and Conti de Savoi; Bremen and Europa; Lusitania, Mauretania and Aquitania.

I do not know if he did go on to write these books, but I wonder if anybody knows whether he did? In particular, I am interested in the volume on Cunard's trio of superliners -- 1907 to 1914 -- but it would be good to know whether the others were ever published.

Any help offered would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Mark- He published his Rex and Conte DiSavoia book a while back, and in it mentioned his plans to continue the series. Since then I've seen nothing from him. The Rex/C.DS. book was well illustrated but presented in a smaller format than that of Mr Braynard's prior books, and was extremely difficult to track down in pre-Amazon days. Perhaps you could contact Mr Braynard who, according to the preface in his last book, lives in Sea Cliff NY, and ask him if any further books are forthcoming.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi James, Hi Josh!

Thanks very much for the responses -- I am much the wiser for them. Thanks for the suggestion. And thanks Josh for the link.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

I did contact Frank Braynard, after speaking to a mutual friend who knows him well. He sent a very quick reply and mentions some of the later books in the 'Classic Ocean Liners' series. These are:

• Volume III: Bremen & Europa (1999)
  • Volume IV: The America
  • Volume V: The Manhattan & Washington

As you said, the third volume is a smaller format. The last two are currently in preparation.

I am in the process of getting copies of some of the Leviathan volumes.

Best regards,

Mark.

K

Kyle Johnstone

Historian and author Frank. O. Braynard has passed away on December 10, 2007 at age 91

Author of many very highly regarded books on liners and maritime history, including the six-volume master-work LEVIATHAN and the sought-after BIG SHIP.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to a thread in a different topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing Mr. Braynard's work. MAB]

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
According to messages posted to a number of mailing lists last night and today, Frank Braynard died on Monday, at 91.