Frank Millet's House in Worcestershire

A

Andrew Williams

G'day Inger!

I can't thank you enough for Millais's burial site. Grief I didn't know he was buried at St. Paul's.

How unusal because there is a mistake with Florence Nightingale. She is not buried at St. Paul's she is in actual fact buried with rest of her family here at my adopted village at St. Maragaret's Church East Wellow, and not West. Still......... I suppose I could for giv'em for their errors!

The Millais connection with Southampton is one hundred per cent true, although sadly the Church Record's for All Siants like Holy Rood, ended up as a pill of ash.

>>What ever happened to such innovate works as the Isabella & Lorenzo painting? "Your guessess are as good as mine Inger"!

It is rumoured down this area of Hampshire that some of Millais works did end up in the superb and private collection of Sankeys. Whether that painting was purchased secretly for the Sankey collection remains as ever, unknown, because the whole lot was destoryed, need I say, by one of Hilter's bombs. That unique collection of artefacts was a get loss to the Townspeople of Southampton.

Andrew W.

R

Richard Taee

Hello. My name is Richard, I live in England and was fascinated to stumble over the various postings on the Titanica web site recently regarding Frank Millet. I write because I am the owner and live with my family at Abbots Grange in Broadway and am deeply interested in the history of the arts and crafts movement, Sargeant and of course the Millets. Abbots Grange itself is a grade 11* listed manor house and regarded as one of the finest and most important examples of domestic, monastic architecture in the UK. You will know I'm sure, that Frank Millet purchased Abbots Grange (along with Russell House) and set about its restoration with William Morris turning it into a series of studios where Sargeant and he plus so many other artists of the time congregated and worked. It is known that among other great names of the time Oscar Wilde, Austin Abbey, Monet and Edward Elgar were regular visitors to the house. Abbots Grange itself is of mediaeval origin, located at the centre of the village and was built around 1320 for the then Abbot of Pershore. It is a fascinating and truly dramatic property in which to live with such a long and varied history attached. The Great Hall (of 'Between two fires' fame) is a fascinating room in which to sit and almost ‘listen’ to the history of the building. I can actually stand in the Great Hall in the exact position at which Millet stood his easel when painting ‘the’ picture! At night the Great Hall is lit only by candles and the light of a roaring fire. It is akin to a theatre set and not difficult to understand why Frank fell for it. We have a lovely sketch of Lilly painted by Frank and indeed have named our baby daughter Lilly-Rose (age 2) after Sargeants - Carnation Lilly, Lilly, Rose reputed to have been painted in the gardens of the main house. We have other works of art from the Millet era which we have fortunately been able to return to their ‘rightful’ home. My wife (Topsy) and I also have two sons - Josh and Jacob. I studied art at college and then went into business and one or two of my own paintings now hang on the walls of the house - (no match for the Millet’s or Sargeants I hasten to add!! I hope this is all of some interest and would add that I would be very happy to share thoughts and/or information with you and your interested parties in respect of Broadway, the house, Millet etc etc. In the meantime from one Millet fan (living in ‘the old country’) to many others, I am glad to have made contact.
Yours,
Richard