Frank Preatince and his crew mates

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
This is sort of related to my water temperature question.

Essentially I remember reading about Frank and his mates, and seeing a bbc interview he gave in the 60s or 70s. From what I understand Frank and his buddies were on Titanic to the very end.

They all jumped in the water together as the stern was taking its final plunge. Frank gets lucky, lands in the water, and gets picked up by Lowe (he claimed to be in the water a long while).

One of his mates, whose name I don't remember breaks his legs, and begs Frank for help he can't provide. This was supposed to be the best swimmer among the 3.

What I am really curious about is the 3rd guy (again I can't recall his name.)

Frank states that this guy lands in the water and somehow swims to some debris that he climbs on, which only will support him (think Rose in Cameron's movie). This guy is close enough to communicate with Frank and tells him he's going to paddle towards the mystery ship. From what I remember he is "never seen again."

I'm curios about this story, was it ever verified by any other survivor? I sort of doubt this because Frank and his crew mates were literally in the throng after Titanic goes down.

It is just such an odd story, because if it's true this guy should have the same chance as the men on collapsible b, yet he paddles towards the same light the boats initially pull for, but doesn't run into them, or get picked up by Carpathia or Californian. So I imagine this guy living, floating amongst the ice and eventually succumbing to the cold in who knows how long. Probably quickly, but maybe as long as a day or two.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Er, I think you mean boat 14 ;)

The man Prentice jumped with was a fellow storekeeper, Cyril Ricks. As Prentice told an ITV reporter c.1983/4, Ricks fell on to debris in the water
and had injured himself. The third man in the group was a crewman named Kieran

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
No, unless it was one of the bodies which couldn't be identified.
So creepy. You have a person who was out of the water, probably as much as most on collapsible B, who is last seen paddling toward the same light the boats pulled towards and he vanishes. Never to be seen again.

Whats even creepier, which I rationally know there is nothing to, is the Mount Temple passenger and his daughter who that Mount Temple found one crew member alive, on debris, that they had rescued. This claim has a lot of weird detail, like 3 lifeboats were used to get this one guy.